Are Electric Power Co's Liable for Damage?

/ Are Electric Power Co's Liable for Damage? #1  

sweettractors

Advertiser
Tractor
JD 6403 CHA-JD 3130 CHA
I was wondering if our Electric power providers could be held liable for "power surges" and "Lower Voltage" that damage computers, TV's and most electrical devices in our homes? I don't plan on making this a legal issue, however, our local provider is falling waay short in this area and I would like to know if the consumer has any right to complain? Ken Sweet

/ Are Electric Power Co's Liable for Damage? #2  
It's a fine line, 1st they'll want to make sure everything on your end is perfect. Up here years ago they used galvanized solid pipe for grounding rod. This will work for many years but will eventually lose it's grounding capibilties. You may have a case but if one thing of yours is not up to modern codes then ?????????

/ Are Electric Power Co's Liable for Damage? #3  
Yep, it's definatally a can of worms.

1st, it is very difficult to prove. And then if you do find that their ARE surges, I have read before that like 99% of the time, it is on the homeowners side of things. Like wiring issues, breaker issues, etc. Like when a big appliance like a water heater of furnace kicks on causing a drop.

And then theirs things like lightning strikes. You cant hold them accountable for mother nature.

You'd probabally end up with more time, money, and headache than it is worth trying to hold them accountable. Some good surge protectors should help and arent too $$$$

/ Are Electric Power Co's Liable for Damage?
Yep, it's definatally a can of worms.

1st, it is very difficult to prove. And then if you do find that their ARE surges, I have read before that like 99% of the time, it is on the homeowners side of things. Like wiring issues, breaker issues, etc. Like when a big appliance like a water heater of furnace kicks on causing a drop.

And then theirs things like lightning strikes. You cant hold them accountable for mother nature.

You'd probabally end up with more time, money, and headache than it is worth trying to hold them accountable. Some good surge protectors should help and arent too $$$$

I have surge protectors on all my computers and that really helps. The surges we have are all within a mile of two of us and all happen at the exact same time, not just at my house. So, it is definitely a power provider issue. Ken Sweet

/ Are Electric Power Co's Liable for Damage? #5  
At my old house I had a power surge that destroyed a few things and the power company said "that's what your homeowners insurance is for" and refused to do anything. It was not worth contacting a lawyer.

Every day at 7:57 AM and 9:57 PM I get low voltage for 1 minute at my present home. It is low enough to set off my backup power supply for 1 minute. I don't know if this is hurting anything but I am sure it is from something they are doing at the power station.

/ Are Electric Power Co's Liable for Damage? #6  
I tried, it was over a year before my Insurance Company finally covered me instead.

I think the Elect. Co just keeps stalling until you go away.

They are big enough and rich enough to do it.

Good Luck.

/ Are Electric Power Co's Liable for Damage? #7  
I have surge protectors on all my computers and that really helps. The surges we have are all within a mile of two of us and all happen at the exact same time, not just at my house. So, it is definitely a power provider issue. Ken Sweet

If thats the case, maybe it is a provider issue.

They still probabally wont be willing to pay for anything, but have you contacted them just to let them know their is a problem???? If no one tells them, how are they supposed to know. Might be an easy fix for them. But odds are, if hey dont do anything, the problem will probabally get worse.

/ Are Electric Power Co's Liable for Damage?
If thats the case, maybe it is a provider issue.

They still probabally wont be willing to pay for anything, but have you contacted them just to let them know their is a problem???? If no one tells them, how are they supposed to know. Might be an easy fix for them. But odds are, if hey dont do anything, the problem will probabally get worse.

Well, actually I contacted a board member of the provider and a engineer came out the next day and walked all the lines in the area and found 1 tree limb that may cause trouble when the wind is blowing. They cut it and we still have the same problem. Now they say, a cow may be rubbing against a power pole causing the problem. LOL.

/ Are Electric Power Co's Liable for Damage? #9  
Well, actually I contacted a board member of the provider and a engineer came out the next day and walked all the lines in the area and found 1 tree limb that may cause trouble when the wind is blowing. They cut it and we still have the same problem. Now they say, a cow may be rubbing against a power pole causing the problem. LOL.

So what are they going to do now??? Kill the cow??:confused2:

/ Are Electric Power Co's Liable for Damage? #10  
again, i agree it is very hard to prove. a lot of the rural areas have old, substandard utility feeds. ours finally were replaced a few years ago. before that we had constant up/down variations. i have installed whole house surge prevention after my oven fried. haven't had any problems since then. your utility can place a 7 day test meter with printout on your house at the point the power enters your house. you have to ask for this to be done. i did, and it proved that it wasn't my end of the line problems. it was theirs. what they will do about the results are anyone's guess.