Switch for snowblower chute control

/ Switch for snowblower chute control #1  

tsteahr

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC2410tlb w/ R1 and Rimguard
Hello,

I'm looking for some help finding a multi throw momentary switch that I can use to control both electric chute rotation and electric deflector on my 48" RAD blower. Ideally I'm looking for something weather tight. I found this which looks like it might work, but it does not look very weather resistant.

Has anyone come across a nice switch for this application?

Thanks

Last edited:
   / Switch for snowblower chute control #2  
   / Switch for snowblower chute control #3  
You can also buy a one piece weatherproof boot that is molded onto the securing nut for the switch. They are usually a grey silicone type rubber that slips over the switch lever. Might be listed separately from the switches.

/ Switch for snowblower chute control #4  
   / Switch for snowblower chute control #5  
Have you checked with your dealer? Might be more $$, but the ones they used on my 2310 work and seem to be holding up well.

You can see the two switches in the pic, one on either side of the dashboard area. They're both rubber-coated. On mine, the switches were dealer-installed-- they might have them in stock.

Attachments

• dashboard-2.JPG
    dashboard-2.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 420
   / Switch for snowblower chute control
Thanks for the links guys. Looking at this I realized a 4 pole double throw is NOT what I need. I'm looking to combine four functions into a single switch, like a toggle joystick. So I can have up/down and left/right available on the same switch by moving the switch in any of four directions.

Now I'm not sure exactly what I need. I'm thinking I need perhaps 6 poles. Two poles for voltage input (12v hot and ground). Then another 4 poles for control of each of the two motors. Am I on the right track with this? :confused2:

/ Switch for snowblower chute control #7  
I used two DPDT momentary switches. One controls up/down, the other left/right. Found them at Radio Shack. Not weatherproof, they are inside the cab. I used one of RS's project boxes to mount them at hand height when turned sideways in the seat. But then, I snowblow in reverse. And warmth.:p

/ Switch for snowblower chute control #8  
Where you buy your switch from think in terms of availabitily if you ever break the new switch. Remember you will be wearing gloves when you are operating the switch.

Craig Clayton

/ Switch for snowblower chute control
I used two DPDT momentary switches. One controls up/down, the other left/right. Found them at Radio Shack. Not weatherproof, they are inside the cab. I used one of RS's project boxes to mount them at hand height when turned sideways in the seat. But then, I snowblow in reverse. And warmth.:p
Yes, that is an option for me to just install a second, seperate DPDT. I may have to go that route if I can't find a a switch that lets me combine all functions into one.

Where you buy your switch from think in terms of availabitily if you ever break the new switch. Remember you will be wearing gloves when you are operating the switch.

Craig Clayton
Good point. I would plan on buying one or two spares just for that possibility. Most of these switches are around $10-$15 so getting a couple spares won't break the bank. I'd order a few spare weather boots as well.

/ Switch for snowblower chute control #10  
What about going with a retro joystick from a video game? Would have to hook up some relays to increase current ratings, but if they had 4 micro switches mounted in the base it should work. You could also look at the joystick from a honda 928 snowblower. I have this blower and it uses a joystick form the chute and damper. or maybe this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Joystick-4-way-...ultDomain_0&hash=item4156ee7173#ht_500wt_1156