Kubota RTV500 or Cub Cadet Volunteer 4x4

/ Kubota RTV500 or Cub Cadet Volunteer 4x4 #1  

jcombs

Tractor
Kubota L3200
I have been browsing the forums for a while, and finally decided to post here to get some feedback. I am in the market for a UTV. After looking at several options I have narrowed it down to two. I am trying to decide between the Kubota RTV500 and Cub Cadet Volunteer 4x4. The primary use will be light chores around the house, such as trips to/from the garden, etc. I do want a machine that I can drag small logs with or head out in the woods to gather firewood if needed.

Benefits of the RTV500 include the hydrostatic transmission and fuel injection. I also like the narrower footprint, since it will get around in the woods better and will fit in a 5ft trailer. I just worry that the RTV500 is under-powered, especially when compared to the Volunteer, which costs less.

The biggest benefit of the Cub Cadet is the larger engine and resulting towing/hauling capacity. I also like the increased ground clearance of the cub cadet. The Cub Cadet has a slightly faster top speed, which really isn't a big deal for the way I plan to use it.

It is hard to compare the two machines. The Cub Cadet probably compares better to the RTV900, but the 900 it out of my price range.

Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

/ Kubota RTV500 or Cub Cadet Volunteer 4x4 #2  
For hauling the RTV 500 does very well....although the engine is smaller the hydro tranny doesn't have any belts to glaze over....I've pulled alot of stuff that the RTV 500 has no business pulling including my fiberglass bass boat and it does it all with no issues. :thumbsup:

I know nothing about the Cub, I've never seen one up here but I can vouch for the RTV 500 being a workhorse.

/ Kubota RTV500 or Cub Cadet Volunteer 4x4 #3  
know how to decipher the VIN before you shop; I think Kubota tries to hide the DOM from its buyers. Some of the UTVs can sit on a lot for years.

My RTV is fine and it does what it is supposed to do and then some. 5 years at zero interest was the deal breaker for me. At 50 years of age, and a mini-rancher application, UTV speed was not a factor on my "spreadsheet".

/ Kubota RTV500 or Cub Cadet Volunteer 4x4 #4  
know how to decipher the VIN before you shop; I think Kubota tries to hide the DOM from its buyers. Some of the UTVs can sit on a lot for years.

I agree with that, when I purchased mine I specifically asked the year and was told it was the current model year...turned out to be over a year old. I never would have known but the town office needed a title to register it for me, when I got the title it had the year on the title. Needless to say the dealer was very quick to renegotiate the deal after I received the title. They claimed it was a mistake which it could easily have been, they made it right in the end and that's all that mattered to me. :thumbsup:

/ Kubota RTV500 or Cub Cadet Volunteer 4x4 #5  
I have the Kubota 500 befor I bought it I was also looking at a mule 610. The 500 ended up in my drive and I like it for all of the reasons you listed and have had no problems at all except a "squeaky" steering wheel that I cured with a shot of PB Blaster spray lube.

/ Kubota RTV500 or Cub Cadet Volunteer 4x4 #6  
I have the RTV500 and I am happy with it. In low range it is pretty much unstoppable and I have dragged some pretty big logs out of the woods with it. I like the narrow width and it is pretty quiet. However, it does not have much suspension and the seat is not the most comfortable.

I am not familiar with the Volunteer, but I took a look at the spec's online. I see it has two gas engine choices and a diesel. I assume you are considering the smallest engine, the 624 cc twin since you mention EFI as plus for the RTV500. The larger gas engine in the Volunteer has EFI. Have you taken both for a test ride? My guess is that the Volunteer will have a much better ride with its longer travel suspension and greater width, but the air cooled engine will be noisy. I like the EFI. The RTV starts easy, even in the cold winters of Northern Michigan. It is one of the reasons I got Kubota over the similar sized Kawasaki 610. My wife uses it a lot and she can just jump in it and go like car. No messing with a coke or waiting for it to warm up.

/ Kubota RTV500 or Cub Cadet Volunteer 4x4
Yes, I am looking at the 624cc Volunteer. It is a bit noisier than the Kubota, as you suggested. The ride does seem a little smoother, but not enough to make that a deciding factor.

When you say you've pulled some pretty big logs with your 500, how big are you talking? Also, I assume you're talking trimmed logs, and not full trees with branches attached, right?

/ Kubota RTV500 or Cub Cadet Volunteer 4x4 #8  
I have dragged trimmed logs about 20 inch diameter and about 16 foot long out of the heavy woods to the trail where I can get them with the tractor. Traction is the limiting factor not power. So if the ground is uneven with lots of obstacles you will have trouble. In low range 4 wheel drive, it will spin all wheels if the front of the log gets caught on something. If you plan on doing a lot of logging, you should look into a logging arch you can tow.

/ Kubota RTV500 or Cub Cadet Volunteer 4x4 #9  
Seconds on the log arch; I pulled out 20 footers (not pictured here) numerous times. a 24" dia was the biggest however, it was only a 10 foot butt. Wet douglas fir or oak logs or pulling a high-lead cable is no prob with my rtv.

New tires on the atv since this photo; Swamp Fox.

Last edited:
   / Kubota RTV500 or Cub Cadet Volunteer 4x4
Thanks for the info on pulling logs. I won't be doing it a lot, just wanted to have an idea of what the machine could do. I'll mostly just be gathering firewood or dragging the logs out of the way when I cut trees to clear an area for something.