drawbar

/ drawbar #1  

ebeacham

Silver Member
Tractor
TYM 723
Has anyone ever had problems with a drawbar rolling over while attached to a trailer? Is there an easy way to keep it from rolling?

/ drawbar #2  
I guess I don't understand what your saying. Are you referring to the draw bar that you buy for the lift arms or the drawbar that is attached to the tractor when you buy it?

/ drawbar #3  
Eric, I'm guessing you're talking about the drawbar that connects between the two lift arms and, if so, you can buy a bracket to take care of that from lots of places; Tractor Supply Co. being one, but I couldn't find a picture on their site. However, there's a picture on <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.unionfarmequip.com/store/linkage/3pointhitch.html>this site</A>.

/ drawbar #4  
If you are talking about the drawbar on a 3 pt hitch, you can stop this in two ways. You can buy a bracket that attaches to each end.

Since, I don't want the drawbar to raise up going down hill you can also buy solid straps that run from the end of the lower arms up to where the top link would attached to the tractor. I use these and welded the drawbar to them at the appropiate angle.

Larry

/ drawbar #5  
Here is a link to a web site where you can order a 3-Pt Hitch to 2" Receiver Adapter. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.badriverinc.com/prod02.htm>http://www.badriverinc.com/prod02.htm</A>
They also have an image you can click on to see a Blueprint of the item. I built my own after printing a copy of their picture. Works like a dream.

/ drawbar #6  
DB4130.gif

(Drawbar lock for category 1 tractors; prevents drawbar on 3-point hitch from rotating)

Do a search of "SpeeCo" on TBN and you'll see multiple posts of this...

SpeeCo's picture of "drawbar" and "swinging drawbar"...
47-218825-Drawbar%26swingingdrawbar.gif

Attachments

• 47-218825-Drawbar&swingingdrawbar.gif
    47-218825-Drawbar&swingingdrawbar.gif
    38.5 KB · Views: 126
   / drawbar #7  
To answer your question specifically, a drawbar that attaches "only" to the two lower lift arms is not designed for this purpose. If you want to use it with a ball, you'll need to accomodate an attachment to the third point to stablize it's position or use some special brackets that work down at the attachment points to the lower arms. I'll add that using the configuration it appears you are trying can actually be dangerous if whatever you are towing "disconnects" and either goes backwards in an uncontrolled fashion, or comes foward toward "you" with the hitching point raised in the air.

/ drawbar #8  
In the farming world at least here in Maine, the drawbar is the 2' long or so rectangle shaped bar that is placed in brackets under the rear pto housing and it is used to tow (trailers, manure spreaders, semi-mount implements and such). The Bar that you guys are referring to with all the holes in it is called a Tool Bar. It is used to attach small farming tools such as a Scarifier, a few spring tooth harrows, other odd farming tools most farmers don't use anymore. It also can be used for what you folks are talking about as long as you're only towing a light trailer, but around here it's used mostly just to keep the lower draft arms apart/in-place in relation too one another and from swinging out and hitting the tires.

/ drawbar #9  
I have a draw bar lock like others have described and pictured. It works fairly well untill you start heading downhill and gravity forces the trailer towards your tractor and the lift arms raise up in response. Twisted up the drawbar lock and did minor damage to the tounge of the trailer. I now use a fixed drawbar.

/ drawbar #10  
Thanks for clearing that up but I knew the difference. I only use the drawbar on my tractor but have a Cat 2 3pt bar for shuttling trailers around on jobsites. Drive under and pick them up and go. Have fun.