Tiller with skids vs. tiller with gauge wheels

/ Tiller with skids vs. tiller with gauge wheels #1  

bilrus61

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota 4200
I have a JD 660 tiller with skids. A local dealer has a Kuhn el 61 210 with the wheels mounted on it. Anyone can tell me the advantages if any of a tiller with wheels vs. one with plain old skids? I would guess a smoother finish? Ease of depth adjustment?

/ Tiller with skids vs. tiller with gauge wheels #2  
Where are the wheels mounted? If tilling a rough plowed area, I like the idea of the blades being the first things to contact the rough soil rather than wheels ahead of the tiller lifting it up and down. If wheels are to the rear of a tiller, they will sink in the soft soil. If they are narrow wheels in the same place as others' skids, then they would be nice since they wouldn't bend or wear down like skids. So I guess I follow the Goldilocks theory... Up front = too bumpy. Trailing the tiller = too soft. On the side of the tiller = just right. Does anyone have pictures of tiller gauge wheels?

/ Tiller with skids vs. tiller with gauge wheels
They are mounted in front. Large steel wheels. It looks pretty simple to raise and lower the tiller compared to fiddleing with the bolts and trying to get them to match on each side of my 660.