Coupling 5.5hp honda to a hydraulic pump

/ Coupling 5.5hp honda to a hydraulic pump #1  

marimus

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland TT75
Hello,

I have a 5.5hp honda that I want to run a logsplitter from. It has previously powered a 3" water pump, and the engine has a threaded shaft.

I can't seem to find anything that will couple a spline or keyway shaft (eg a hydraulic pump) onto an engine with a threaded shaft.

Any help is appreciated :thumbsup:

/ Coupling 5.5hp honda to a hydraulic pump #2  
Hello,

I have a 5.5hp honda that I want to run a logsplitter from. It has previously powered a 3" water pump, and the engine has a threaded shaft.

I can't seem to find anything that will couple a spline or keyway shaft (eg a hydraulic pump) onto an engine with a threaded shaft.

Any help is appreciated :thumbsup:

Since you are dealing with a hydraulic pump, you really need to couple it with a love-joy coupler.

Find out what the diameter and thread pitch is on the motor. Then take the lovejoy half and thread it to match the motor is probabally what I'd do. If you cannot find a tap the right size, any competent machine shop should be able to cut the threads in the inside of the love joy. Allthough it may cost a little more.

Another thought, which you may not want to do, would be to take appart the motor, turn the threads off the crank and cut a keyway in it for the lovejoy.

/ Coupling 5.5hp honda to a hydraulic pump
Those are pretty much the two options I didn't want to hear :laughing:

Oh well, its just a little bit of extra work I suppose. I'll have to check and see what taps I have...

/ Coupling 5.5hp honda to a hydraulic pump #4  
Marimus,
what was on the threaded shaft when it was a water pump? Could part of this assembly be used to drive the log splitter pump?

Roy

/ Coupling 5.5hp honda to a hydraulic pump #5  
I believe that some engines come with a tapered shaft with threads on the end. Is that what you have , or does the shaft have a straight shaft with threads on the end?

If it came off a water pump it is a tapered shaft.

/ Coupling 5.5hp honda to a hydraulic pump #6  
I believe someone makes a tapered adapter, but haven't located one yet. A good machinist might be able to take a 1 or 1 1/4 in rod and cut you a reciprocal taper for your Honda shaft, then use a standard Love Joy connection. Might be able to cut a taper in a Love Joy coupling half.

/ Coupling 5.5hp honda to a hydraulic pump
Marimus,
what was on the threaded shaft when it was a water pump? Could part of this assembly be used to drive the log splitter pump?

Roy

The impellor of the pump was on the threaded section, with the shaft coming into the pump through a ceramic seal. The seal failed, and I left the leaking pump too long and the pump body corroded - meaning when I bought a new ceramic seal it still leaked.

I can't detect a noticable taper in the shaft, do I need to put a caliper on this?

/ Coupling 5.5hp honda to a hydraulic pump #8  
You mentioned taps, does that shaft have outside threads or inside threads like for a bolt ?

If the shaft is tapered, it will have a nut that keeps the accessory on. If it is a straight shaft, it will have an inside threaded hole.

A Honda pump engine will have a straight outside threaded shaft.

GX160TX 5.5hp Horizontal 5/8" Externally Threaded Shaft, OHV, Cast Iron Sleeve, Low Oil Shutdown

Attachments

• pump shaft.jpg
    pump shaft.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
   / Coupling 5.5hp honda to a hydraulic pump #9  
Seems odd that threre wouldn't be a key in there, but I'm not a water pump guy. What you could do though is get a taper-lock bushing / hub and a sprocket (counter sink and flat head capscrews) for each of the straight shafts, then use a bit of double roller chain to join them. I've seen a bunch of shafts coupled together that way, but without a keyway......I dunno, maybe. Them taper locks bite pretty good. You might be able to drill that shaft just a tad and use a pin as a key?
John

/ Coupling 5.5hp honda to a hydraulic pump #10  
Here is the answer why no key. Since the pump turns an impeller, the threads on the impeller is such that as the engine turns, the force of the impeller against the water, keeps the impeller tight. There should be no reason that a 5/8 Love Joy half would not fit, if the length is sufficient. There might even be a threaded Love Joy fitting that will work. There might be an adapter to increase the thickness of the shaft, like a 1 in size.

Your other choice is to use a different engine.

It would have been appropriate for the orig poster to tell us he unscrewed an impeller off a straight 5/8 in threaded shaft.