pulling a wheel off a tiller?

/ pulling a wheel off a tiller? #1  

heehaw

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M4900, B7510 and RTV
anyone got a really good an easy way to pull the wheels off a troybilt tiller: got the pins out, but the wheel doesn't budge, yet..i am soaking them in penetrating fluid now.
heehaw

/ pulling a wheel off a tiller? #2  
I can't say that I've ever worked on a tiller...but a work-around trick to not having a box full of professional pullers...is:

a torch and a hammer...but the real trick is a cheapo "palm nailer" ($20) from Northern Tools or Harbor Freight...

heat it up and squirt it with some penetrating fluid (I lke acetone and ATF) then hit it with the palm nailer...it will hammer it hard so be careful where you apply it but it is amazing how fast it will vibrate a wheel, hub, pulley etc. lose.

/ pulling a wheel off a tiller?
don't have a palm nailer, but have an air chiesel...with the right attachment in it, might work..if i can get it to the wheel in a place that won't do more damage than good.
thanks
heehaw

/ pulling a wheel off a tiller? #4  
I learned this trick along time ago with my old Troy "Horse". I soaked it as much as possible with penetrating oil then I applied heat with a torch to the wheel and took a pipe wrench to the wheel to get it to rotate on the axle shaft. If you can get it to wiggle it will come off. The moral to this story: pull the wheels every year and clean and regrease the axle shafts.

Steve

"pull the wheels every year"..sounds good, but that would mean these wheels would have been pulled 20+ times...i would have to replace the roll pins with something easier to take out before i would consider that. the roll pins are hard enough to get out..but then i could buy a longer punch an it would be a lot easier..
thanks for the pipe wrench idea..
heehaw

/ pulling a wheel off a tiller? #6  
Hehaw, get some bolts and nylon lock nuts to replace those roll pins and you are good to go.

getting the pins out of the wheels was the easy part: i got the wheels off the 1999 model without to much trouble, the tires look like new, but kept going down, so i put tubes in them: but the 1980 model, i have worked on for quite a while, an have not got them to budge yet: had two big pipe wrenches, with cheater bars on them, an still could not budge the wheels: so now i am soaking them to see if that will help: i will need new tires on this one, the tire almost worn out...so i will try again tomorrow, after soaking the wheels all night..
heehaw

/ pulling a wheel off a tiller? #8  
Been a while since Ive done this job, but as I recall, I cut off a piece of round electric fence and used it to drive out the pins. It just happened to be the right diameter.

If it comes to it, I suppose you could weld a couple of ears to the outside flange and then use a flywheel puller to pull the wheel off the shaft. Or I guess you could cut up the puller arms on the puller enough to fit inside the pin holes and then try to pull it that way.

Another possibility is to weld a pin across the flange and cut out a matching slot in an old socket, and then use a impact wrench to spin the wheel on the shaft to break the rust free.

/ pulling a wheel off a tiller? #9  
Sort of laughed when I seen this - last year I was using my tiller and the the wheel pin somehow came out and my wheel slid off the axle and went rolling across the yard. Seems like I had a little different problem - keeping the wheel on!
Good luck

/ pulling a wheel off a tiller? #10  
That's a new one. I haven't seen a tiller wheel fall off before.

I suspect there might be just enough of a burr on the shaft around the pin hole to keep the wheel on the shaft.

Maybe a small scissor jack would fit between the wheel and the transmission housing to push the wheel off the shaft?