Mighty Mule Gate Opener Repair - Success

/ Mighty Mule Gate Opener Repair - Success #1  

jml755

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 3600, diesel, Ford 755 TLB
Last year the Mighty Mule Gate Opener gave out at the farm where I occasionally work. Took it apart and determined the motor was shot. GTO (mfr) will not sell a replacement motor. They wanted to sell a remanned arm at a couple of hundred bucks. Couldn't track down the exact replacement from the original motor mfr here in the US, but did find one at an RC hobby shop that seems to work fine. Had to press off the old gear on the end of the fried motor and install on the new one. Not a big deal. For anyone that's handy enough to take apart the arm and replace the motor yourself, you'll save big $$$. The replacement motor cost $22 locally and I've seen them online for under $20. It's a Titan 550, 21 turn/14 volt by Traxxas p/n #3975.

/ Mighty Mule Gate Opener Repair - Success #2  
i have an old arm laying in the shed. control board died.. gto wanted to also sell me a refurb unit at most of the price of a new one... i decided to just get the new one... was cheaper to get a new one and have the 'free' transmitter that comes with it, vs repairing the old arm and buying another transmitter.. go figure..

soundguy

/ Mighty Mule Gate Opener Repair - Success #3  
Good info to know. Thanks for posting.

I just bought a place with a MM500. Previous owner took the only remote; said they 'might' could use it on their next place. Nice people, eh?

Anyway, I bought another remote. Finally got it programmed and discovered that the keypad was shot. Bought another keypad. Screwed up the code so bad that it opens on just about any number. And buggered up the close position setting to boot.

So, for now, I'm just leaving the gate open. Got too much move-in stuff to do to worry about it right now, but eventually, I'll deal with it. If my luck with the Mighty Mule holds out, I'll discover that the arm motor is burnt up, or I'll burn it up trying to get the dang thing set up and working. Not that the gate would actually stop anyone from coming in that actually wanted to bad enough.

The only good thing I can say about Mighty Mule right now is that Tractor Supply and Home Depot around here carries just about all the parts in stock. ... I can see why - it's a money maker!

/ Mighty Mule Gate Opener Repair - Success #4  
I've had 3 broken... what happens is people force the gate and the shaft is bent... not covered under warranty so the only option was to replace.

I still have the broken ones in the shop. Just thought they shouldn't been so easy.

/ Mighty Mule Gate Opener Repair - Success #5  
I don't mind that kind of damage. IF someone forces a gate.. I expect it to be damaged. sound slike you need the attachment that has a lock that clicks open once the code is entered.. then latches afterwards.. helps prevent forced openings by the casual 'good' person... obviously won't stop a determined person..

soundguy

/ Mighty Mule Gate Opener Repair - Success #6  
Last year the Mighty Mule Gate Opener gave out at the farm where I occasionally work. Took it apart and determined the motor was shot. GTO (mfr) will not sell a replacement motor. They wanted to sell a remanned arm at a couple of hundred bucks. Couldn't track down the exact replacement from the original motor mfr here in the US, but did find one at an RC hobby shop that seems to work fine. Had to press off the old gear on the end of the fried motor and install on the new one. Not a big deal. For anyone that's handy enough to take apart the arm and replace the motor yourself, you'll save big $$$. The replacement motor cost $22 locally and I've seen them online for under $20. It's a Titan 550, 21 turn/14 volt by Traxxas p/n #3975.

jml755, that Traxxas motor still working? I have my gate opener apart with a bad motor - same story - Mighty Mule wanted to sell me a new arm for a couple hundred bucks. Hoping to fix it myself.
Thanks!

/ Mighty Mule Gate Opener Repair - Success #7  
speaking of that. I have an arm.. good motor, bad control board. I had gto give me a hard time about warranty on the board, and it was close to warranty up, so I just bought another arm and went.. will they sell the boards sepperately?

soundguy

/ Mighty Mule Gate Opener Repair - Success #8  
Years ago, I purchased a board for my Mighty Mule for about $129. They would not warranty the board, and it didn't last very long.

Just a side note, I have seen some nice gate openers made out of garage door openers, for less money, and the parts are very common.

/ Mighty Mule Gate Opener Repair - Success #9  
Just a side note, I have seen some nice gate openers made out of garage door openers, for less money, and the parts are very common.

Interesting idea. I'm having trouble picturing it though. I assume the chain was removed. How did they work transfer force to the gate?

/ Mighty Mule Gate Opener Repair - Success #10  
probably a hinged 2 part swing bar.. i've seen a few designs like that.

at work I maintain a few gate systems for work and jobsites. i use all apollo equipment.. wired keypad boxes and rf keypads, hand held remotes, worms, control boards, enclosures, etc. pretty good.. if you can afford them.. that's the main reason i don't have one... 1000$ for a gate opener ... :)

soundguy