Box Scraper What to buy?

/ What to buy? #1  

nealfris

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota '2003' L3000DT 8/4 std, engine/pto hp 32.1/27.5, hyd 6.9 gal/min
I would like to get everyone's input on a box blade purchase. My tractor as listed below, is a Kubota L3000DT 30 hp. The loader on the front is not a bad counter weight for the woods 750 on the back. So I think the box blade wouldn't be more of a burden. The tires are loaded.
The reason I explain the scenario is because my road is quite steep and long with a switch back half way. The drainage ditches are large because of the amount of mountain above us and snow melt.
A 5' box would cover the back tires. But I read a thread where a guy said he prefers a 66".
The camp is seasonal so I would only be making repairs in summer and fall. The wash out accumulates at the bottom and would have to be dragged a long way up the hill. Do I go light for reduced burden on the tractor or heavy for long life? I would definitely need rippers for all the rocks.
I may add remotes to the back so I was thinking about hydraulic rippers. Are they worth the money?
Whats your favorite brand, size, options, cost etc.?

/ What to buy? #2  
I can't comment on the remotes and hydraulic rippers...I'd like that but for what I do it wouldn't be worth the expense, since it only takes a minute to adjust the rippers manually.

As for the box blade, I don't think the extra 100 or so pounds difference between a heavy duty and a standard box blade would be any more of a burden on the tractor. I have one that is considered standard duty and it's certainly not going to fall apart any time soon, but I think if it were heavier it might dig down a bit better and in any case would be more durable. Plus if you got a heavier box blade, it might be a benefit since you could use your loader to haul rocks up and have the box blade as a counter weight. Mine is a cheaper Hawkline Standard 5' blade that I got new for 350 and I really like it, but there are many other real good ones like United for example.

/ What to buy? #3  
I don't think you're gonna drag material 'a long way' with one, depends what you mean by that.

/ What to buy? #4  
My vote would be for a rugged 5' unit that weighs more than 500 lbs if you have the kind of road I think you do. I used to travel the Arlington Wadsboro Rd all the time back in the late 60's. There is some rough country in there. If it is real steep you will be hard pressed to drag a box full up. Its the weight of the material and the width of the bade that will stop you not so much the weight of the boxblade itself. The weight of the box blade will help your blade cut and scaifiers dig more effectively.
You probably know this already but your goal should be to shape the road to stop the wash outs rather than haul the washed material back up. Easier said than done on a mountain road I realize.

/ What to buy?
I've been told by all the locals that maintain the gravel mountain roads and drives that a box blade is the only way to go. The reason being you can patiently drag the washed out gravel back up the drive. Otherwise costly truck loads of replacement gravel are required periodically. I am not really concerned about the actual weight of the box blade, but the combined weight of the blade and gravel. That's a lot of drag for a small tractor.
Gordon, thanks so much for your input. You are spot on with my challenge. I'm not trying to drag everything back to the top of the hill. I'm just trying to fight gravity the best I can. :thumbsup: Do you have a recommendation for my purchase? I was thinking the same thing about the 5' blade. More overall control than a wider one. BTW, are we talking the same area? I'm not familiar with Wadsboro Rd. ???
Ted, thanks for the Hawkline suggestion. They look well built. where did you get yours for that kind of money?

/ What to buy? #6  
i'd go for a hd box that covers my tire tracks.. if there are boulders.. then hd is best..

soundguy

/ What to buy? #7  
Like Soundguy says, HD to deal with the rocks. Pay attention to the beefiness of the three point hitch mounting structure.
The Arlington-Wadsboro Rd probably has a new name now. It's the one that heads up the Roaring Branch from Arlington. Goes between Straton and Glastebury Mtns and then down into Wardsboro. I used it to get up into Grout Job.

/ What to buy?
Thanks for the directions Gordon. I'm over on Rt 313 in West Arlington. I have driven up to Kelly's Stand before but turned around long before getting to Grout pond road. How is the drive all the way over to Rt 100 and West West Wardsboro? The map says closed in winter. Is it ok in summer?
Thanks for the input on the box blade everyone. Its looking like HD 5' is the way to go. Whats the advice on brand?

/ What to buy? #9  
We have a partly to very steep driveway (800'+) & I do exactly as you are proposing, drag stuff back uphill after it washes down, though you lose a little each time & we're ready for a new batch of Sta-mat (ground ledge). The Sta-mat really minimizes the amount of suspended sediment as once it's packed down, the water stays much more on the surface. Right now we only have it on our steep section as it can be expensive

I use a 66" Woods/Gill box blade (655lbs) that I bought used, pulled by an L3400 & it does a better/quicker job than the straight blade I used before. It has become my default implement & spend most of the summer on the tractor unless I'm mowing.

I did that drive once in a car, no issues, but that was 12 or 14 years ago. Nice ride, but we're up on the other end of the state so I don't get down there much.

/ What to buy? #10  
I use a 72" and feel it's a good fit. I like to to hang 6" past my tires so that I can get the BB closer to objects without getting the tractor too close.