Steering Wheel Removal

/ Steering Wheel Removal #1  

tigers2007

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere AMT626, New Holland LS45
After searching the threads, I can't find anything on this subject. I have used 2-jaw and 3-jaw pullers before but I cant figure out how to get this thing off of the steering wheel shaft. I went to Autozone's website and found a steering wheel remover kit which is inexpensive. Will this automotive one work with this faux "Ford" steering wheel on this tractor?

It is very rusty in there - I have wire brushed it and try cleaning the two 6mm threads next to the shaft with a tap. Should I go aquire some long 6mm grade 8 bolts to use with that kit? I don't think the kit comes with 6mm.

/ Steering Wheel Removal #2  
Mix up some acetone and ATF about 50/50 and squirt some on the junction of the shaft and the wheel collar and wait fifteen minutes. after that, give the end of the shaft a whack with a mallet and brass drift while pulling up on the wheel - should pop right off.

/ Steering Wheel Removal #3  
back the nut off until it is even with the top of the stud then put a hand on each side off the wheel and pull up hard while someone else hits the nut with a hammer. this will usally work.

/ Steering Wheel Removal #4  
back the nut off until it is even with the top of the stud then put a hand on each side off the wheel and pull up hard while someone else hits the nut with a hammer. this will usally work.

Usually does!
I like to have a piece of brass or even aluminum over the nut prior to hitting just as a precaution as to not ream the threads or damage the nut.
In fact often a wheel will simply pop off without any tugging.

Good luck!

/ Steering Wheel Removal #5  
I have often used the Pull hammer method. You can put your knees under the wheel and pull up hard and then using a brass or aluminum drift hit it with with large hamer.

/ Steering Wheel Removal #6  
Flush the nut and while lifting up using your favorite method bump the shaft firmly and squarely with an 8 lb. sledge hammer. The hammer needs to contact the shaft end directly without any cushion between them. With the nut flushed, the hammer ain't gonna hurt it.

/ Steering Wheel Removal #7  
The puller kit will work too. If M6 is not included yes you can just buy a couple. Class 8.8 is like grade 5 which should be fine. Class 10.9 is like grade 8.

My steering wheel puller comes in handy on a regular basis. Most recently to disassemble a water pump.

/ Steering Wheel Removal
The steering wheel remover broke the included grade 5 bolt in one of the holes. I ended up leaving it and using a sawzall to cut the fiberglass body. Some times I'm tempted to run to the fire station and borrow the portable "jaws of life"; this would have been one of those situations. Hopefully I won't have to take that thing off soon.

/ Steering Wheel Removal #9  
A steady pull, like from your steering wheel remover, rarely works well to break rusted parts free. Penetrating oil and vibration are usually much more successful. The problem is the rust molecules are four times bigger than iron molecules, resulting in a tighter than interference fit. The penetrating oil and vibration (hammer, impact wrench, etc) break down the rust molecules so the oil can do the job.

/ Steering Wheel Removal #10  
i took 2 to 3 days of using PB blaster. on the 555c steering wheel. when i had to replace a seal on the hyd motor.

i did same thing you did. 2 and 3 point pullers. hammers, sledges. knees. loosing nut so it was just over threads of shaft. no go.

i finally gave up. and just soaked it with PB blaster. and after a couple days. i went out. thinking ok. i will give it a tug, and if no go i will just spray it one more time. i almost gave myself bruises, it came off so easily.

it was just seized with rust onto the shaft. when i put it back together. there was a tiny bit of flop in it. till i had the nut tighten back down.

i sure know i felt like a bozo, with everything i tried. and at times, i thought maybe there was a key, that got hammered in to keep it in place. or perhaps a pin that went through shaft and steering wheel. but it was just seized up with rust.

i was tempted to take torch to it. but that was no good. i thought about hair dryer, and heating up outside of steering wheel as well. but never did that.