424 Parking brake

/ 424 Parking brake #1  

424newbie

Tractor
IH 424
I just received the parking brake assembly which was missing when I bought this 424 Diesel. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to attach the spring to the lever. All pictures I've seen show the level straight up and down and the broken lower part of the lever had the teeth facing forward. And I believe the teeth should be facing forward due to the placement of the part the teeth catch on which is attached to the inside brake pedal arm. I further assume that the spring is supposed to keep the lower part of the parking brake lever to the rear (away from the catching mechanism) to keep the parking brake from engaging every time the brake pedal is pushed in. (Hope you guys aren't as confused as I sound.) My problem is the only way I can figure to attach the spring has it pulling the lower part of the brake lever forward to the engaged position. Anybody out there have a 424 with a working parking brake and a digital camera who could post a photo of this assembly? The owners manual doesn't help either.

Many thanks,

Randy

/ 424 Parking brake #2  
I just received the parking brake assembly which was missing when I bought this 424 Diesel. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to attach the spring to the lever. All pictures I've seen show the level straight up and down and the broken lower part of the lever had the teeth facing forward. And I believe the teeth should be facing forward due to the placement of the part the teeth catch on which is attached to the inside brake pedal arm. I further assume that the spring is supposed to keep the lower part of the parking brake lever to the rear (away from the catching mechanism) to keep the parking brake from engaging every time the brake pedal is pushed in. (Hope you guys aren't as confused as I sound.) My problem is the only way I can figure to attach the spring has it pulling the lower part of the brake lever forward to the engaged position. Anybody out there have a 424 with a working parking brake and a digital camera who could post a photo of this assembly? The owners manual doesn't help either.

Many thanks,

Randy

https://webparts.pvassociates.net/cnh/webparts/main.php

Here is a pic from the above link and part # list.

Attachments

• 001CSIH-31094.gif
    001CSIH-31094.gif
    31.4 KB · Views: 2,108
   / 424 Parking brake
I've looked at the exploded view a few times and just noticed there is a part shown that I do not have. The PLATE, brake lock lever stop number 34 in the list. Not sure what it does exactly or where it fits in with the other parts. Guess I need to go to a tractor show or find one for sale locally to take some pictures and measurements. Looks like something I can fabricate.

Randy

/ 424 Parking brake #5  
Maybe check with "Jeff424", in the above for now thread, and see if his still has it on his. Maybe get some measurements..??

If you've done any brakework on yours, maybe help him out with some pointers... I'm going by a similar 240 model I have, and it's 25 miles away at the moment..., but basically the same.

/ 424 Parking brake #6  
Unfortunately my parking brake is missing completely. I wish I could be of some help.

/ 424 Parking brake #7  
The top part of the lever hooks behind this plate to keep the lever in the storage position. The spring holds the lever in the engaged position. I hope this makes sense.