Charging issue

/ Charging issue #1  

MACHZM10

Tractor
toolcat 5600
Help I have a friends 2005 toolcat here (loaner and it is not charging) I bought and installedc a new alternatore and still nothing, any Ideas. I have checked and double checked all fuses relays, but nothing.[/I]

/ Charging issue #2  
There's a fuse for the alternator in the fuse panel. If it's blown, make sure you don't have an incorrect connection or shorted wire.

Have you verified it's not charging with a voltmeter?

Have you checked all the ground cables for corrosion, bad/loose connections?

Disconnect the neg. term. on the battery. Put a test light between the neg. batt. post and the neg. battery cable. If the light doesn't light up, then reconnect the neg. battery cable. If the light lights up, then you likely have a short/drain somewhere.

Disconnect the B+ term. and the L & S terminal connector on the rear of the alternator, if the test light goes out the alternator is faulty, If the test light stays on the fault is somewhere else.

Hope this helps.

DEWFPO

/ Charging issue #3  
Always start by looking at the ground ! You can use jumper cables to go direct to a clean rust free spot on the block, then look for some sort of fusible device that is acting up, good luck, those Toolcats seem to have their fair share of electrical quirks !

/ Charging issue
Thanks for the pointers, have had enough for tonight but will check all of those ideas out tomorrow, hope it is one of those, it seems to have more corrosion than a similar machine of that same year (at least to my eye) maybe a frame connection, I did verify with a fluke multimeter at Idle 12.46Vdc, if any accessories turned on, it goes down from there no matter the RPM.

/ Charging issue #5  
I think the voltage regulator is internal but if not check that too.

/ Charging issue #6  
Thanks for the pointers, have had enough for tonight but will check all of those ideas out tomorrow, hope it is one of those, it seems to have more corrosion than a similar machine of that same year (at least to my eye) maybe a frame connection, I did verify with a fluke multimeter at Idle 12.46Vdc, if any accessories turned on, it goes down from there no matter the RPM.

Does battery have 12.4 volts with engine and key OFF? Battery should be 12.4 by itself, if battery is bad alternator can't keep up.

/ Charging issue
Thanks for all the help found it last night, the wire coming from the alternator going to the starter, was broken, a real PIA to get to but got it done. Hope this helps others in the future to avoid costly and time consuming issues like mine.

/ Charging issue #8  
Glad you got it fixed, thanks for letting us know.

DEWFPO

/ Charging issue #9  
I had a bad connection at the plug going going into the alternator. It is the input wires at the alternator. I would unplug the connection and push it back into the alternator. Then it would charge. Had to clean and bend the connections in the plug later on.