Kubota 2920 HST whine

/ Kubota 2920 HST whine #1  

Eyeshade

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota b2920
My Kubota has a "whine-a-matic" transmission. I was wondering about wear during different types of use. For instance, is there more/less/same wear if I'm in low gear going x speed or in high gear going the same x speed but only depressing the foot pedal 1/2 way? The unit whines more with the 1/2 pressed foot pedal but is that a bad thing? Just wondering.

/ Kubota 2920 HST whine #2  
Have you ever owned a BX? Now that whined worse than a 3 year old who skipped his nap! In comparison, the B2320 is quiet as a church mouse.

Yes, they will whine more in high, 1/2 pedal than in low, in my experience. Since there are 3 ranges from which to choose, I cannot see me using High very much as I don't leave the property with it often. I usually take my truck if I need to run somewhere. :D

/ Kubota 2920 HST whine #3  
Have you ever owned a BX? Now that whined worse than a 3 year old who skipped his nap! In comparison, the B2320 is quiet as a church mouse.

Yes, they will whine more in high, 1/2 pedal than in low, in my experience. Since there are 3 ranges from which to choose, I cannot see me using High very much as I don't leave the property with it often. I usually take my truck if I need to run somewhere. :D

Exactly, why in the world would you try to run in High?.. High is for road gear only on flat ground. You need to run in low and med. low for any pushing/pulling and med for high speed travel, depending on how steep your ground is. The hydro whine is your "guage" to how hard the system is working.. a little whine is there all the time.. and normal, but when it really complains.. back off a little by shifting to a lower range. much better to floor the pedal in low than just barely crack the pedal in high! When it really screams and "kicks" back at you.. you have the parking brake on!

James K0UA

/ Kubota 2920 HST whine #4  
:D

Hey, I resemble that remark, :D Actually my BX23 whined alot less than the B7510, (predessesor to the B2320), when I was tractor trading back in the day.

Y'all are right in that HST's do whine. It's the nature of the beast. Some louder than others.
Alot depends upon load. My BX23 is nearly as quiet as a proverbial church mouse :D when the FEL & BH are dismounted (lightens it by 1000 lbs) but will whine like no bodies bidness when they're mounted. I think it's telling me that it likes to finish mow :D

Eyeshade, like BPfick & k0ua said, it'll whine more in high and high is intended for fast transport between jobs and shouldn't be used for work. Make sure the parking brake isn't set and keep a mental note on the whine, how loud and when it occurs more. If it increases when doing the same tasks have it looked at, otherwise consider the whine as your tractor telling you how much it loves you working it :D
Dave

/ Kubota 2920 HST whine
I use high to go down a long concrete driveway but when I transition off the concrete to dirt the unit whines in high gear. It isn't a problem to shift into a lower gear, my question was if a 1/2 depressed pedal in high gear hurts the unit. As to the type of trans fluid, I don't know as it was serviced at the dealer and has 100 hours on it.

/ Kubota 2920 HST whine #7  
I use high to go down a long concrete driveway but when I transition off the concrete to dirt the unit whines in high gear. It isn't a problem to shift into a lower gear, my question was if a 1/2 depressed pedal in high gear hurts the unit. As to the type of trans fluid, I don't know as it was serviced at the dealer and has 100 hours on it.

Sounds normal to me HST's whine. Just the nature of them. And no, 1/2 peddle will not hurt the tranny. High torque slow movement will burn it out though. Heat is the killer of hydrostatics. As long as your forward movement corresponds to the peddle deflection you will not hurt the tranny.

/ Kubota 2920 HST whine #8  
I run my L5030 in high at quarter or half throttle fairly often. As long as it doesn't bog, I am not concerned. Our property is pretty spread out.

/ Kubota 2920 HST whine #9  
I run my L5030 in high at quarter or half throttle fairly often. As long as it doesn't bog, I am not concerned. Our property is pretty spread out.

I agree we do about all our bale feeding in high, we use the Hi/Lo switch/lever
on the column some but our property is flat for the most part. If loading
manure we use Med., when digging dirt we use Low. If it's not bogging then
I don't see the harm. When loading bales in the field we use Med. It's an L3940
We make 4'x4' bales.

/ Kubota 2920 HST whine #10  
Sounds normal to me HST's whine. Just the nature of them. And no, 1/2 peddle will not hurt the tranny. High torque slow movement will burn it out though. Heat is the killer of hydrostatics. As long as your forward movement corresponds to the peddle deflection you will not hurt the tranny.

I have a b2620 and the only whine I get hydro is when I use the FEL a bit hard. Generally it is quiet as a church mouse except for the engine hum.