Poly vs. Steel lawn roller

/ Poly vs. Steel lawn roller #1  

sgoldste01

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere GT245
I'm trying to decide between a new Brinly poly lawn roller ($140) vs. a used Agri-Fab steel lawn roller ($110, in good condition). Both would be 24" x 36" rollers, so would be approximately the same weight when filled with water.

Suggestions?

/ Poly vs. Steel lawn roller #2  
I have used both and like poly better because I can turn sharper corners without digging in.
Some steel may work that way as well but I don't know about that.
I have a couple Brinley products and they are quality and well made.
My lawn rake from them is really nice.

/ Poly vs. Steel lawn roller
I have used both and like poly better because I can turn sharper corners without digging in.

OK, thanks. What are the dimensions of the roller you use? My thought is that the 24x36" might be most effective because it's heavy and narrow, so it's putting its weight down on a smaller area than the wider rollers.

/ Poly vs. Steel lawn roller #4  
OK, thanks. What are the dimensions of the roller you use? My thought is that the 24x36" might be most effective because it's heavy and narrow, so it's putting its weight down on a smaller area than the wider rollers.

Mine is 24" diameter and 48" wide. It is not as nice as I would like in that, even at 1000 lbs, it's not enough unless the ground is soggy.
I also have a 6' wide Brillion seeder and I'm going to try pulling that over the grass on the belief the notched wheels will move the dirt around more.
Rollers are not fully satisfying unless you start with a fairly smooth lawn to begin with but that's my opinion.
I like the idea if narrower for more concentrated weight but you need more input from an actual user.

I was only the Brinly web site, and didn't see a lawn rake. Are you refering to the dethatcher? I'd be interested in a product that I can use in the fall to collect leaves; I'd prefer not to buy the bagger attachment for my GT245 (that I bought used, but is new to me), but maybe that's my best option.

/ Poly vs. Steel lawn roller #6  
I was only the Brinly web site, and didn't see a lawn rake. Are you refering to the dethatcher? I'd be interested in a product that I can use in the fall to collect leaves; I'd prefer not to buy the bagger attachment for my GT245 (that I bought used, but is new to me), but maybe that's my best option.

Duh--oops--I meant lawn sweeper. The drier and fluffier the grass or whatever, the easier it picks it up. It does not pick up dog doo.

Brinly-Hardy Brinly 42 in. Lawn Sweeper, STS-42LXH

Brinly-Hardy Lawn Sweeper 42in., Model# STS-42LXH | Lawn Sweepers | Northern Tool + Equipment

I noticed their sweeper was exactly the same as the green John Deere one and figured if good enough for them it was likely good enough for me.
It works beautifully and here is a thread that I posted using it and showing the pile of grass raked.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/200167-de-thatched-my-lawn-good.html

/ Poly vs. Steel lawn roller #7  

Diameter is what determines the ground compaction, NOT width. A 36" wide roller @ 24" diameter is going to have the exact SAME compaction as a 60" wide roller of the same diameter.:thumbsup:

Larger diameters get greater compaction because of added weight. But NOT larger widths. So if you want the MOST compaction you can get, get the largest diameter you can.

We made one 38" diameter out of 1/8" steel. Very heavy duty. It weighs more empty than most 24" do filled. AND we can add ~1850lbs of water. It is only a 48" roller as well:thumbsup:

I think we're saying the same thing, although I wasn't being clear. What I meant is that the 36" wide x 24" diameter roller will provide better compaction than a 36" wide x 18" diameter roller, or even a 42" wide x 18" diameter roller, due to the extra weight pressing on the 36" wide contact area.

/ Poly vs. Steel lawn roller #9  
I think we're saying the same thing, although I wasn't being clear. What I meant is that the 36" wide x 24" diameter roller will provide better compaction than a 36" wide x 18" diameter roller, or even a 42" wide x 18" diameter roller, due to the extra weight pressing on the 36" wide contact area.

You got it:thumbsup:

Length dont mean squat as far as compaction. It's all in the diameter.

Enjoy:thumbsup:

Attachments

• Mar29_0009.jpg
    Mar29_0009.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 1,785
Duh--oops--I meant lawn sweeper. The drier and fluffier the grass or whatever, the easier it picks it up. It does not pick up dog doo.

Brinly-Hardy Brinly 42 in. Lawn Sweeper, STS-42LXH

Brinly-Hardy Lawn Sweeper 42in., Model# STS-42LXH | Lawn Sweepers | Northern Tool + Equipment

I noticed their sweeper was exactly the same as the green John Deere one and figured if good enough for them it was likely good enough for me.
It works beautifully and here is a thread that I posted using it and showing the pile of grass raked.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/200167-de-thatched-my-lawn-good.html

Do you have any idea how well the sweeper works compared to the tractor bagger attachment? Does it pick up as well? Does it hold a similar volume? I'm mainly interested in leaf pick-up, rather than grass....