Trailer weight question

/ Trailer weight question #1  

General Lee

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota, L4400, BX1870
I seem to get confused sometimes with weight rating acronyms such as GVCW, GVW, etc. I have a 12 foot dual axle trailer and the sticker on it states 7,000lb GAVW. I am assuming this means "gross allowed vehicle weight"?? If so what exactly does that mean? I'm not sure what the trailer itself weighs but I need to know if it will handle my L4400. With certain things attached, I think the L4400 could be 5,000lbs or more. BUT...with the trailer weight included could this put me over the rated limit of the trailer?

/ Trailer weight question #2  
Every trailer I have owned or seen rates the total weight of the trailer with load.

So a 7000 lb rating, A trailer that weighs approximately 2000lb would leave a cargo limit of 5000 lbs

/ Trailer weight question #3  
I seem to get confused sometimes with weight rating acronyms such as GVCW, GVW, etc. I have a 12 foot dual axle trailer and the sticker on it states 7,000lb GAVW. I am assuming this means "gross allowed vehicle weight"?? If so what exactly does that mean? I'm not sure what the trailer itself weighs but I need to know if it will handle my L4400. With certain things attached, I think the L4400 could be 5,000lbs or more. BUT...with the trailer weight included could this put me over the rated limit of the trailer?

GAWR = Gross Axle Weight Rating. Not sure what GAVW means, but I'd guess the "A" stands for axle. If it is your axle rating, and you have a 10% tongue weight, your total weight capacity of the trailer is 7,778 pounds. 15% tongue weight gives you a 8,235 lb. capacity.

/ Trailer weight question #4  

The only way to know for sure is weight the trailer. Subtract that weight from the GVWR or in you case the GAVW, same thing, and you will know the payload it can handle.

Same can be true with your truck you pull it with. Most have the max GVWR posted inside the door. Lets say its 8,800# and you weigh the truck with you in it and say 3/4 tank of fuel, what I do, and its 7,200#. This leaves you with 1,600# for payload, passengers, trailer tongue weight, ect.

Chris

/ Trailer weight question #5  
GAWR = Gross Axle Weight Rating. Not sure what GAVW means, but I'd guess the "A" stands for axle. If it is your axle rating, and you have a 10% tongue weight, your total weight capacity of the trailer is 7,778 pounds. 15% tongue weight gives you a 8,235 lb. capacity.

You are correct. You Learn something new every day.

I did not know that, so I looked it up. According to the Trailer Manufactures Association, Trailer Manufacturers Association - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's) - Answered by Dick Klein

QUESTION:
I was wondering if you could provide a definition of GVW & GVWR. What is the difference, and, if any, the impact the two have on axles.

ANSWER:
GVW is the Gross Vehicle Weight? which is the actual weight of the vehicle. GVWR is the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating? and is the maximum allowable weight for the vehicle, which includes the weight of the trailer and the weight of the anticipated cargo. The axles must be able to support the GVWR, less the amount of weight carried by the tow vehicle (the tongue weight or the hitch load?. This means that the GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating) may be less than the GVWR. It is generally accepted that this difference may be as high as 15% of the GVWR for bumper pull trailers, and 25% for gooseneck and 5th wheel trailers, although a more conservative approach would have them equal (since you dont know how the consumer will load the trailer).

/ Trailer weight question

Yes, it is GAWR, that was a typo on my part. Where are you getting the 7,778 and 8,235 numbers from?

/ Trailer weight question #7  
Yes, it is GAWR, that was a typo on my part. Where are you getting the 7,778 and 8,235 numbers from?

If the tongue weight is 10% of the load, the axles are carrying 90% of the load. If the axle weight rating is 7,000, the total load is 7,000/0.90 = 7,778. Same thing with a 15% tongue weight... 7,000/0.85 = 8,235

/ Trailer weight question #8  
jmanatee2 had a great resonse. Here is some info I just saw today linked from the TSCRA website; Farm and Ranch Vehicle Compliance

Following is general information regarding the regulation of "commercial motor vehicles" and how it might apply to farmers or ranchers.

Extensive operational and administrative requirements are placed on vehicles that are classified as commercial motor vehicles (CMV). As a general rule, CMVs are defined by their weight rating and the locations in which they operate. A vehicle is a CMV if it travels intrastate (within the boundaries of a single state) and has a gross combined weight rating (GCWR combines the ratings of both the power unit and the trailer) of 26,001 or more pounds. Alternatively, a vehicle is classified as a CMV if it travels interstate (across state lines) and has a GCWR or a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR is just the power unit) of 10,001 pounds or more, whichever is greater.

It is easy to envision how the weight rating threshold could quickly be surpassed during regular farm or ranch activities. Driving a 3/4-ton pickup (GVWR typically between 8,600-9,600 lbs.) pulling a medium-duty trailer (GVWR typically between 14,000-17,400 lbs.) from one location to another in Oklahoma could potentially subject the driver to CMV requirements. Likewise, simply driving a 1-ton pickup (GVWR typically between 11,000-13,000 lbs.) across the state line to buy feed could subject the driver to the same requirements.

that is just an excerpt. the article has links for Texas and OK DOT regs.

/ Trailer weight question
If the tongue weight is 10% of the load, the axles are carrying 90% of the load. If the axle weight rating is 7,000, the total load is 7,000/0.90 = 7,778. Same thing with a 15% tongue weight... 7,000/0.85 = 8,235

Gotcha. Now, Since my trailer is a dual axle I'm guessing each axle is a 3500# axle giving me a total of 7000#?