Replacing lower lift arm on TC 40.

/ Replacing lower lift arm on TC 40. #1  

ksterling

Any tricks to getting the pin out that holds the lift arm at the axle? After taking the bolt out from the keeper tab I tried sliding the pin out, but no luck. Prying on the tab just left it bent. Any ideas?

/ Replacing lower lift arm on TC 40. #2  
Rather than prying out on the tab, try tapping it radially around the axis so the pin spins in the hole. Once the pin twists, it will loosen and should come out. I removed mine when my tractor was fairly new and they popped right out.

Attachments

• lowerlinkpin.jpg
    lowerlinkpin.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 274
   / Replacing lower lift arm on TC 40. #3  
Don't mean to insult with the totally freaking obvious, but did you try some penetrating oil? If so, please forgive this post.. I know it's like the manual that says when your computer doesn't work to check to see if it's plugged in..

/ Replacing lower lift arm on TC 40. #4  
M-O-F, I love your avatar. Anybody who wears black socks with shorts and suspenders is okay in my book.:thumbsup: I'm serious. . . you look like you know how to enjoy yourself and "to heck" with everyone else.:)

miserableoldfart.gif

/ Replacing lower lift arm on TC 40. #5  
Any tricks to getting the pin out that holds the lift arm at the axle? After taking the bolt out from the keeper tab I tried sliding the pin out, but no luck. Prying on the tab just left it bent. Any ideas?

Rather than prying, can you get between the tip of the pin and the transmission case to the inside and try pushing it out with a large pry bar or similar sturdy piece of steel?

/ Replacing lower lift arm on TC 40. #6  
I've knocked many of these loose over the last 15 years. Give it a small whack with a 2lb. balpeen hammer,as if you were trying to pound it in further. It should pop loose. If not,try soaking with penetrating oil over night and re-apply hammer method. :thumbsup: My tool of choice. :D

/ Replacing lower lift arm on TC 40. #7  
Thanks, Jinman. That get-up and photo was for my ex-coworkers. I am retired postal and that's my old uniform the way I used to wear it (no hardhat or suspenders) on the job, and giving what I used to call the "postal salute."

/ Replacing lower lift arm on TC 40.
Thanks for all the ideas, most of them I had tried, especially the penetrating oil. I took the tractor to my trusted mechanic who tried all the previously mentioned ideas with no success. He even went as far as removing the wheel and welding a nut on the end of the pin to try and move it. In the end, it had to be cut out and a new pin put in.