Massey 165 Gas..rebuild issues :O

/ Massey 165 Gas..rebuild issues :O #1  

MBMassey

Tractor
Massey 165 and 88
Hey All,

I'm rebuilding my 64 Massey 165 with the Continental Gas 4 cyl and I just opened the package with the sleeve and piston and it's a completely different piston then the stock one.....stock is a flat top and the new one is a domed (raised portion on top) and it is taller by almost 3/8's of an inch and just wondering if anyone has used a rebuild kit from "Power Up Advantage Eng. Parts" before? Is this kit maybe used for a bunch of models and the pistons will work, or did I get some incorrect packaging?

I really wanted to put this tractor together on Saturday..but with nobody to call at Worthington Ag I'm lost unless someone else has done this job.

Thanks, and glad to be a new member!

/ Massey 165 Gas..rebuild issues :O #2  
If taller by 3/8ths of an inch is a measurement with connecting rod attached then I'd be hesitant (from crank to top of piston). It may be fine if location of mount to connecting rod (wrist pin) allows the overall length (piston and connecting rod) to remain within tolerances, don't want to start slapping valves or beating out pistons once you've got it back together. :thumbsup:

/ Massey 165 Gas..rebuild issues :O #3  
Check the weight of the new vs old as well. They may have relocated the pin height to compensate for the dome, but it does not sound like the right part.

/ Massey 165 Gas..rebuild issues :O
I checked the pin height last night and it's in the same spot as the stock pistons...so just to be sure I put one on a connecting road and set it at TDC on the crank...it's WAY above the deck of the block...so then I just put a couple of dabs of touch up paint on the valves and set the head on and pushed them by hand...I could hit the piston with the intake no problem and I'm sure with just a tiny bit more force the exh would have hit.....

No way are these right IMO

/ Massey 165 Gas..rebuild issues :O #5  
Ya, that's totally wrong, even with the thickness of the head gasket added in.

/ Massey 165 Gas..rebuild issues :O #6  
Definitely not right, was it a piston set only or part of a total rebuild kit?

It was a total rebuild kit (in frame)...and I checked all the other boxes to make sure 1 wasn't worng and their all the same....really funny they would have a different piston but every other component the same...I almost woder though if maybe the head gasket would be wrong..maybe those pistons are for a different motor with a taller head??

/ Massey 165 Gas..rebuild issues :O #8  
That is strange, I took a quick look at the rebuid kits sold by "Sparex" and "Massey Ferguson Parts" online, neither show the pistons as domed and both kits appear identical, at least by artists conception.

Thought maybe there were two different 165 motors built but haven't found any evidence of it so far.

Well there is a perkins gas and a continental gas, and then of course the Des engines...but when I did the parts search online it comes up with my 176G engine and those part numbers...the site must have something wrong or the manufacturer

/ Massey 165 Gas..rebuild issues :O #10  
Hey All,

I'm rebuilding my 64 Massey 165 with the Continental Gas 4 cyl and I just opened the package with the sleeve and piston and it's a completely different piston then the stock one.....stock is a flat top and the new one is a domed (raised portion on top) and it is taller by almost 3/8's of an inch and just wondering if anyone has used a rebuild kit from "Power Up Advantage Eng. Parts" before? Is this kit maybe used for a bunch of models and the pistons will work, or did I get some incorrect packaging?

I really wanted to put this tractor together on Saturday..but with nobody to call at Worthington Ag I'm lost unless someone else has done this job.

Thanks, and glad to be a new member!

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was referring to whether or not Continental had produced more than one 4 cyl gas engine for the 165. My 135 is a Z134 4 cyl gas Continental engine and the 150 I believe is the Z145, and as you say the 176G number represents the 165s.

All photos I've seen for the rebuild kits for your tractor have a recessed piton vice a domed piston. Only thing I can think of is that when the kit was put together someone got their numbers crossed, doesn't help you I know at this stage of the game....

Last edited: