Need some scrap for practice.... so

/ Need some scrap for practice.... so #1  

Haywire

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tractorless :(
I thought I'd go down to the shop where I usually get my steel and see if they would let me "borrow" 10 or 20 lbs of their small drops. I go home, weld them all together and then return their scrap a little heavier and a little easier to move. I then get another 10-20lbs and repeat.

Think they'll go for it?
Ian

/ Need some scrap for practice.... so #2  
I thought I'd go down to the shop where I usually get my steel and see if they would let me "borrow" 10 or 20 lbs of their small drops. I go home, weld them all together and then return their scrap a little heavier and a little easier to move. I then get another 10-20lbs and repeat.

Think they'll go for it?
Ian

Depends on how well they know you and if it's scrap bin stuff. Good chance though. Certainly can't hurt to ask.:thumbsup:

/ Need some scrap for practice.... so
It'll be a couple weeks before I can get down there. I suppose it depends on if they root through the scrap bin for stuff like gussets and such. I'm on pretty good terms with them, I've been buying odds and ends from them for a couple years and they're a small shop.

Ian

/ Need some scrap for practice.... so #4  
look for 1/2x3 and 1/2x1 flatbar.

cut them into pieces about 8" long and tack them together like this -|-

fill up all 4 fillets, all positions,with nice flat welds, no undercut.:thumbsup:

Why no undercut? I thought with stock that thick, that a 30deg bevel would be standard.

thanks,
Ian

/ Need some scrap for practice.... so #6  
Why no undercut? I thought with stock that thick, that a 30deg bevel would be standard.

thanks,
Ian

I think rjmack is referring to the edge of the weld rather than the bevel - but I don't want to speak for him.

If you don't pause just a bit when weaving, the edge of the weld will "undercut" the metal and cause a weak, or thin, line down the edge of the weld. It is particularly noticeable on the vertical plate when welding 90 degrees (2F).

It can happen when whipping but not nearly so much in my experience if you take it slowly.

ah.... terminology

/ Need some scrap for practice.... so #8  
A good rule of thumb with undercut, if you can hang your finger nail in it, it's too much.

That's not to say a welding inspector might have a different opinion.

/ Need some scrap for practice.... so #9  
I think OP's idea is a good one. They should go for it, especially if they know you. They're not risking much with 20 lbs of scrap.

Undercut ? I call it proof of deep penetration, different ways to look at things I guess.

I thought this was a great weld I did to my 3 pt lift arms. 3/4" material in single pass. That slight undercut told me the weld penetrated deeply.
Like I have mentioned in the past, I don't even know what I don't know about welding, but I keep making smoke :)

JB

Attachments

• DSCN5891.JPG
    DSCN5891.JPG
    964.3 KB · Views: 333
   / Need some scrap for practice.... so #10  
A good rule of thumb with undercut, if you can hang your finger nail in it, it's too much.

That's not to say a welding inspector might have a different opinion.

What exactly is undercut? Is it the weld hanging over the base metal or burnt into the base metal?