EICHER TRACTOR (364 N.C.)

/ EICHER TRACTOR (364 N.C.) #1  
Tractor
Still searching
Ok guys and gals, I can use your help once again. What can you tell me about Eicher tractors. I looked at a new EICHER 364 N.C. recently that had a AIR COOLED 35 hp. engine, 2 cyl, dry double disc clutch, 8fwd & 2 rev. speeds, dry disc brakes, dual stage clutch, rpm 540. The tractor was built well, a basic tractor, not many bells and whistles, weighing 3839 lbs. Cosmetics could have been better for a new tractor, had some paint peeling/fading from being outdoors a few months, but not too bad.
I'm not familiar with the air cooled engines. Am I looking for trouble? The tractor is mfg. in India.

Thanks,
Jim

/ EICHER TRACTOR (364 N.C.) #2  
DancingGatorFarm: In my search for a tractor I did look at Eicher's. Dealer (actually a salvage yard for older tractors-I was picking up parts for my Farmall) was 80 miles away though. Seem solid, but hydraulics a bit weak. I believe they are made in India. My understanding is engine is a knock-off (or, possibly made under license) of Deutz, which, I understand is now owned by Same group (Italian-they're getting big into tractors-Fiat owns Case/International/NewHolland). Re: air-cooled vs water cooled, read the old ads from Volkswagen from the 50's, 60's and early 70's. Same argument, fewer parts, no worry about freezing, etc. Also, 2-stage clutch, worst case, much more expensive to replace (at least other brands, such as deere, are). If you are thinking of going this route, might consider Mahindra-the ones made in India, not the Korean ones. They are a knock-off of IH from the 60's (actually, not knock-off's, IH sold them the tooling). Mahindra sells more and you are more likely to be able to get parts. Unless you have a real strong dealer you know nearby, suggest other brands might make more sense. JEH

/ EICHER TRACTOR (364 N.C.) #4  
Hey Grimreaper,

Eicher at one time was a very well respected German tractor manufacturer that made A/C engines. Then they ran into $$$ trouble after establishing Eicher of India. Massey bought into what was left of the German operation,then EI bought them out. I've never actually seen one in real life,but I'd wager the engine is an Eicher not a Deutz knock off. By the way SAME only owns the Deutz-Fahr ag business,the engine company(Deutz AG) is not part of it. EI also markets a licensed Valtra tractor now in the States. It is the old 61 hp Valmet 365.

As for the new Mahindra 00 series they are not part of the old IH technology,but all new design.

Oh ya,and do not forget about another Italian company Argo. They own Landini,McCormick,Valpadana,and Laverda. Like you stated they are getting big in the tractor business!

/ EICHER TRACTOR (364 N.C.) #5  
<font color=blue>...about another Italian company ...</font color=blue>

...and talking Italian... "Pasta... anyone?" /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

All kidding aside, I'd guesstimate over 90% of all orchard/vineyard tractors used around the world come from Italy... /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

/ EICHER TRACTOR (364 N.C.) #6  
Woodbeef: Thanks for the blow by blow . . . I didn't realize the engine part didn't go with the rest of it to Same. You could be right about the engine-I didn't actually check the engine plate. It's hard keeping up with all the buy-outs, swaps, who owns who, etc. I was referring to the DI series Mahindras (3505, etc) not the newer 00s. Anyway, he was asking about the Eicher's. I only spent about an hour or so eye balling them. They seemed solid and well made and a nice unit with some well thought out features (as you suggested, somewhat "germanic" in feel)-but, again, that was based on a relatively short looki and I didn't actually spend time under the tractor. Unfortunately, I think they probably don't sell very many-like the Century a nice tractor but totally dependent on the dealer and the hope they will continue to bring them in. My suggestion of considering the Mahindra was that pricing should be comparable and Mahindra is selling enough that 10 or 15 years from now he would have a better shot at parts availability.
JohnMiller3: Remember when they used to import Fiats? Nice looks (Italian design and all) but hair growing out of the wheel-wells. Do you know Ferrari makes garden tractors? (guess its the same Ferrari-they used to years ago make the bodies by welding up aluminum panels over bean bag molds-I'm not kidding). And they make a lot of two wheelers-I have really looked at the BCS-very impressive and almost as solid looking as the old Gravelies. And the Pasquali. Is there a Luinquini tractor??!! Just kidding.
JEH

/ EICHER TRACTOR (364 N.C.) #7  
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Is there a Luinquini tractor??!!

<hr></blockquote>

I dont think so, but I saw a Lamborghini tractor on eBay not that long ago. Check it out <A target="_blank" HREF=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3106788770&category=26193>here</A>.
Mark