NH 479 haybine in good shape - value?

/ NH 479 haybine in good shape - value? #1  

acesario

My neighbor just bought a new haybine and wants to sell his 479 to me. I ask what he wants and he's too nice a guy and says.. "oh... we'll work something out" or "whatever you think its worth" I'd like to make him a good offer.
It has been well taken care of. Belts, rolls, wobble box all in good shape. Guards and sickle bar replaced two seasons ago. The outside 6" or so doesn't cut well in thick hay or on turns, might be bent a bit.Sometimes it plugs up. Everything else is good that I know of cept the paint.
This thing makes hay every year, but tooo much hay.. just enough for a 20 cow operation.
Any ideas what I should pay my neighbor and friend for this thing?

/ NH 479 haybine in good shape - value? #3  
$2500-$3000 should be reasonable between neighbors. Especially, if it is in good shape. Sounds like he is not trying to pay for his new equipment, maybe just recoup the downpayment. In any event, I have a NH 492...love it. I watched my uncle use it for years prior to my aunt passing it on to me. Only thing I had to do was replace a few teeth on the blade. Sounds like you may need to do the same. In addition to the teeth on the bar, replace the knifes as well. They wear as well and will cause the machine to clog up, as well as, not cut while turning or in thick hay. The haybine is a great machine and I think that you will find that it is well worth the money you spent.

Hawk

/ NH 479 haybine in good shape - value? #4  
I am guessing that he wanted to trade it in on his new one and the the dealer offered him 1000-1200 for it and he decided to keep it and sell private. $2000-$2500 should be retail. Ken Sweet

/ NH 479 haybine in good shape - value? #5  
im with ken haybines have no trade value anymore.if its not rusted out in front of where the sickle goes id say $1500 to $2000 tops.