Spring loaded gate latches

/ Spring loaded gate latches #1  

bdog

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 6130M
Last edited:
   / Spring loaded gate latches #2  
I have some that are gravity driven. Opening the gates raises them up a few inches via a cam on the hinge. When released, the gates return to closed position. A cheap version of this can be accomplished by offsetting the hinges on the post. The gate is tilted forward (or backward however you set it up) and this geometry does has the same effect. No springs to rust and wear out or break.

/ Spring loaded gate latches
My gates are already all hung so no option to tweak the hinges for auto close. Mainly just looking for something quick and easy as opposed to a chain. These are in working corrals so we need to be able to open and close them quickly.

/ Spring loaded gate latches #4  
Bdog, will these latches be worked by folks who are afoot and horseback? How much space did you allow between the end of the gate and the post at the latch end? Something I've got in mind will require at least 3-4" of space between. Possibly bending a piece of 1/8" thick X 1-1/4" wide strap or flat stock in a slight curve and weld the end to the end of the gate vertically. The bend will act as a "spring" and you can make it long enough for the leverage you'd need to move it as well a hand who's horseback to reach it. On the post you could weld a "notched" piece that the flat stock would "nestle" in to to lock the gate place. Of course, as with most easy to use latches, they're only so strong when it comes to 1000 lb critters trying to find an escape route!:D Sorry, I don't have any pics or a way to illistrate this. If nothing else maybe it will give you an idea to create something on your own.

/ Spring loaded gate latches #5  
so you dont have a post to mount a standard gate latch to?

surelatchlock.jpg

/ Spring loaded gate latches #6  
I can help you to fixing your springs and latches to the gate, i suggest you the company or service provider they can help you for this gate springs.. that is Gate Closure Springs service especially for your gates springs and latches.