Deer Plots

/ Deer Plots #1  
My son and I are putting in deer food plots and are procedure has been to plow, then tiller, and then to spread the lime, fertilizer, and seed. So far everthing has gone well but I'm wondering if using a disc/harrow either before or after using the tiller, wouldn't make for a more level and better break-up of the soil. Does anyone out there use both the tiller and discs for their deer plots or has using just one or the other been sufficient? Is there any real need for both?

/ Deer Plots #2  
I would think that is overkill. If you plow and then use a tiller, use of a disc seems unnecessary. Breaking up all the clumps is not necessary. We like to drag something over the tilled ground before planting to level it out and remove the hills and valleys left from tilling ot discing. THen we plant and fertilize and maybe cultipack or re-drag to cover the seed.

We use this home-made drag harrow to level things.

Attachments

• drag harrow004.JPG
    drag harrow004.JPG
    155.6 KB · Views: 1,183
   / Deer Plots #3  
I just go over an area several times with my disk until the dirt is mostly free of clods. I WISH I had a tiller!! If you till, I don't see why you would need the disk unless you want to use the disk between plowing and tilling.

I agree that you need to use some type of drag or cultipacker after broadcasting your seed. :thumbsup:

Those few of us that are very fortunate will use a no-till drill instead of broadcasting and dragging/cultipacking. :drool:

/ Deer Plots #4  
Using a cultipacker after tilling will break up any clods and help smooth it some. A disc after tilling won't do anything beneficial.

My preference is to put 1/2 of the amount of lime BEFORE tilling so it will work into the soil uniformly to a greater depth. Then put 1/2 of the amount on top after tilling, packing and seeding. That assumes it's put on with small equipment. If you have a truck spreading it, you don't want the ruts in the fresh tilled field so it all goes on first.

/ Deer Plots #5  
We put in a few plots every year. About 3 acres total. We just plow, disc and then dreag with a piece ot chain link fence then seed. It doesn't have to be all that smooth or level.
I have even just roughed up the ground before with the teeth of my box blade and threw some "No Plow" on it and it grew just fine.

/ Deer Plots #6  
I would have to agree with everyone. I've put in 2 food plots in the past 2 years. All I have used is a old disc and cultipacker. My food plots look amazing and have never had to reseed them. Good luck with them.

/ Deer Plots #7  
Another thing to remember is the more you work the ground, the more it will dry out.

/ Deer Plots #8  
For me it is an either/or deal when it comes to tiller or disc. For plots larger than an acre, as most of mine are, a disc works best after the plow. If you are going to use a disc on larger plots however, forget about those 3-point types. They are no where near as effective as pull-type discs. For smaller plots, where a 3-point disc would be applicable, the tiller is almost always a better choice.