Changing brake shoes on Ford 8N tractor

/ Changing brake shoes on Ford 8N tractor #1  

learning

Tractor
Ford 8N
I recently changed the brake shoes on my Ford 8N tractor. When I replaced them, they did not stop the tractor any better than my old shoes that were worn out. I used the Intertec FO-4 manual to adjust them after replacing them. I am wondering if I did not position the brake shoes correctly in relation to the camshaft and that this might be causing them to not to spread open properly. Is there a certain way that the camshaft should fit with the brake shoes?

/ Changing brake shoes on Ford 8N tractor #2  
Welcome to TBN. :)

/ Changing brake shoes on Ford 8N tractor #3  
Welcome to TBN.

i am no help to ya. beyond asking ya if there are any adjustments to linkages to the break pedal/pedals back to the brake shoes that can be done, they might look like they never been adjusted, but... don't know about new brakes.

if you can take things far enough apart but not completely and totally apart. and have someone else press down brake pedal can you follow along in what is happening. so you can get a better idea of what might not be happening or what needs to be adjusted?

have you double checked for another 8N manual on the internet, being of its age and how many were made, i would imagine there would be a few manuals out there on internet and free. you might check AGCO Parts Books i remember seeing a good amount of online manuals but i honestly do not know how far they go back.

/ Changing brake shoes on Ford 8N tractor #4  
Hello & WELCOME to TractorByNet.com! :)

I have moved your thread to the Ford Vintage Tractors Forum. You'll get a better response there. ;)

/ Changing brake shoes on Ford 8N tractor #5  
:welcome: to learning

Member soundguy is one of the more knowledgable about these tractors.

A search with his name included in the member box should give you some reading, as well as a PM to him directly (although sit tight and he will likely catch you before the turn).

Did you find worn shoes when you made the change?

/ Changing brake shoes on Ford 8N tractor
Welcome to TBN.

i am no help to ya. beyond asking ya if there are any adjustments to linkages to the break pedal/pedals back to the brake shoes that can be done, they might look like they never been adjusted, but... don't know about new brakes.

if you can take things far enough apart but not completely and totally apart. and have someone else press down brake pedal can you follow along in what is happening. so you can get a better idea of what might not be happening or what needs to be adjusted?

have you double checked for another 8N manual on the internet, being of its age and how many were made, i would imagine there would be a few manuals out there on internet and free. you might check AGCO Parts Books i remember seeing a good amount of online manuals but i honestly do not know how far they go back.
I did look at how the camshaft moved the brake shoes. It did spread them but it did not look like it spread them equally on both ends of the brake shoes. I am not sure how it is supposed to spread them.

/ Changing brake shoes on Ford 8N tractor #7  
were the shoes moving freely when you installed them, before putting the drum back on?

was the drum DEEPLY worn so that there was a huge depression / lip.. IE.. drum worn too thin?

did you adjsut the star wheel so that the brakes would grab then back off a little?

were the axle seals leaking? ie.. grease on the brakes and drums?

post back.

these are pretty much standard drum brakes just like an old truck.

soundguy

/ Changing brake shoes on Ford 8N tractor
My brother looked at the brake shoes when I depressed the brake pedal and he said that they moved okay. I do not know if the brakes spread evenly at both ends.

The drum was not worn. It was nice and smooth without any grooves.

I adjusted the star wheel until it was as tight as I could get it. Then I backed it off a little bit. According to the tractor manual that I have, both wheels should be jacked up off the ground and the brake adjuster should be tighten until the wheel will turn with some effort.

I changed out one seal that was leaking and put Permatex on all that flanges to prevent future oil leaks on the brake shoes.

My main concern is whether there is some way that the U-shaped camshaft that spreads the brake shoes has to be positioned in relation to the brake shoes. For example, on the left side of the tractor (as you are sitting on the tractor) the one prong of the U-camshaft was between the top and bottom brake shoe. Should the ends of the top and bottom brake shoes fit between the two prongs of the U, should it be in the vertical or horizontal position when you put the drum?

/ Changing brake shoes on Ford 8N tractor #9  

Attachments

• seal9.jpg
    seal9.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 8,840
   / Changing brake shoes on Ford 8N tractor #10  
here's a better pic

Attachments

• DSC03189.jpg
    DSC03189.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 13,088