Norse winch rpm

/ Norse winch rpm #1  

moojamboo

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 1710
Hi all,

New to tractors (Feb 2011). I have a Ford 1710 with 690 hours with a Norse 3pt winch.

I was doing some log skidding yesterday after work and forgot a couple of times to crank the rpm's back up to the 540 level for the attachment before I winched. It winched fine (got a tree stuck only once (stalled the engine), I pushed the rpm's to 540 and it worked like a charm - actually ripped a complete stump that was blocking progress right out of the ground. A big smile appeared on my face).

Can I use the lowest rpm needed for the job? It would seem like less fuel used. Or is not using the gear at the correct power bad for the attachment/engine (3 cylinder diesel)?

Part of me thinks of the recommendation to always use 2wd until you NEED 4wd to reduce driveline wear / increase fuel economy. But on the flip-side if I gave this computer half power it would not work well.

You can see my progress, I was quite happy:

wood.jpg

Thoughts? thanks in advance,

/ Norse winch rpm #2  
A winch can be a powerful and unforgiving thing. I think that you are less likely to hurt yourself and damage equipment at lower RPM. What did the load catch on when it stalled the engine? When skidding logs there are lots of stumps and trees to catch the load on. Would it have been better if the engine was running wide open and you snapped the cable instead? I flying winch cable can be deadly. You could have also damaged the gears in the winch or damaged the tractor. I would rather have the engine stall or at least make sure that there is a shear pin in the drive line. It is much easier to restart the engine than it is to repair the winch or nurse your wounds. Take it easy!

/ Norse winch rpm
The top of the tree had a "v" which wedged itself under a stump, almost like a bottle cap / bottle opener. With more power it just tore through it.

I am happy to run at the lower rpm's, I just want to make sure I am not damaging my gear. For instance does the lower rpm lead to longer time to engage/disengage winch clutch, leading to premature wear, that sorta stuff.

I do agree that a stalled engine is better than a flying cable at my head :).

/ Norse winch rpm #4  
I would recommend that you use only the power/ rpm required to do the job. A lower rpm will result in a slower more controlled cable rate as well as lower fuel use. You don't want your engine to lug down and strain as that is not good for it but when winching control is everything. I rarely have the rpm much above idle. Having said that, idle on one tractor may be equivalent to full power on a much smaller tractor. I am not familiar with your tractor to know it's power. My recommendation is to use no more power that you absolutely have to use.

/ Norse winch rpm
I agree on the lower power, but as it is a "540 rpm attachment", and my rpm dial as a "540 rpm" line, I didn't know if I was doing damage by not getting the engine up there.

The 1710 has a 26 hp diesel.

/ Norse winch rpm #6  
I would not ever consider running my winch at 540 rpm. To me it is just plain dangerous. There are some who disagree but if you search for winch threads you will find most agree. I run mine at 1200 to 1500 engine rpm. Once in a while if I'm in a field or have perfectly clear going I will run at 1800. My 540 rpm PTO is at 2700 engine rpm so i'm at half throttle with the winch.
If you hit a dead tree with the log and it comes crashing towards you like a bullet or your log snags on something and it does a big cart wheel and smashes you or your tractor or just jams so tight you can't get it free you will learn to slow down. You actully have more torque at less than full throttle on most deisel engines so you are not loosing anything.
For safty sake please slow it down especially if you are just learning. Don't try to power through a snag. Stop and roll your log before it gets stuck. Learn to use snatch blocks so you can keep the log in a clear path.
Remember always: logging is dangerous - go slow and be safe.

Attachments

• Nice 36Footer.JPG
    Nice 36Footer.JPG
    565.9 KB · Views: 173
  • Winching(1).JPG
    Winching(1).JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 189
  • WinchingFirewood1.JPG
    WinchingFirewood1.JPG
    627.2 KB · Views: 351
   / Norse winch rpm #7  
Do not exceed 540 rpm with a 540 rpm attachment is what that really means. Also to get the full power and speed. You do not want speed! You will not damage it by running at a lower rpm as long as the engine is not straining. I would guess the Norse is similar to all the others in the use of the friction plate clutch design. The harder you pull on the rope the tighter the clutch is engaged and thus the more power is transferred to the winch from the pto.

/ Norse winch rpm
good info all around. I need to look into a snatch block, I think that would make a nice addition to my equipment. I have some interesting angles which a direct pull is problematic.