testing temp gauge

/ testing temp gauge #1  

twoone

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 1720
Hi" Am a newbe and need a littlehelp ? How do you test the temp gauge on a Ford 1720 I am not sure my is working it is always sitting on cold. Tks :anyone::anyone:

/ testing temp gauge #3  
You can stick a meat thermometer in the radiator with the cap off to get the true temperature of the radiator fluid. Alternatively, you can remove the sensor and stick it in boiling water - gauge should read 212* F. If it is an electric gauge, you will need to add a grounding wire.

/ testing temp gauge #4  
Hello Twoone and welcome to TBN.I will help you with your problem, but you should ask your question in the Ford/New Holland forum. This forum is just for introductions and not detailed help.

/ testing temp gauge #5  
Get yourself an infrared non-contact thermometer.
You can then check temps anywhere you want. They are handy for checking radiator, block, heads, exhaust, hydraulic and any other temps you might have concerns.
They are even handy for checking oil temps in your frying pans.

/ testing temp gauge
Thanks for the reply. good idea but it does not help me in finding out what the problem is what I need to find out is if it is the gauge or the sender. was thinking there must be away to test the system with a meter, Tks

/ testing temp gauge #7  
If it is electric, just pull the wire off the sending unit and ground it with the key on and if the guage moves all the way to the other side the guage and wire are ok. It would have to be the sending unit.

/ testing temp gauge
thanks for the reply this will help. I will try this out only problem is that that the sensor has two wires on it stupid idea kind of a double ground I guess? I 'll meter the wires and hope to find that one of them is a gnd and then try your suggesten. :thumbsup: Tk"s

/ testing temp gauge
I really got a kick out of how you cut you hedge I showed the picture to my wife and ask her if she would use our sears tractor to cut ours that way, Am not going to tell you what she told me so I guess it will be down the old way. Tk's