IR 231 impact wrench

/ IR 231 impact wrench #1  

snapper

Bronze Member
What kind of grease fitting do the impacts take to fit the fitting on the back?? I can't seem to figure it out.. Last time i greased it I took the front end off, pumped grewase into the shaft the some into the clutch case.. If I had the right fitting it would be easier.. Thanks again..

/ IR 231 impact wrench #2  
You're suppose to grease an impact wrench? If you are, I've done screwed up. All I do is squirt some air tool oil in the air hose fitting, from time to time.

Before anyone else jumps in here. I don't use it that much and the manual said it was ok. I know it would be better to have an inline oiler.

Billy

/ IR 231 impact wrench
depends on the model.. Some have a screw on the side that you take out and put in some oil, and some have a type of grease fitting on the back that takes grease.. I found out what happens if you pump in too much grease from the wrong end. Your motor spits grease for a while.. I ran a bunch of oil through it to help clean it out.. So don't over grease..

/ IR 231 impact wrench #4  
Snapper, that little dimple right in the middle of the rear of the housing is the grease fitting. There's a tiny ball bearing in there and you use a needle nosed grease gun to squirt the grease right into it. That greases the rear bearing and the rotor shaft is hollow so that grease goes on through it to get the front bearing, the hammers and hammer frame. You can buy a small grease gun from the tool trucks, some auto parts stores, etc., and I've seen them at Northern Tool, but couldn't find one on their web site just now. You can also buy a needle nosed adapter to put on your regular grease gun. Of course, Ingersoll-Rand recommends using their grease (and I did), but a lot of mechanics just use whatever grease they have in their grease gun. Anything's better than no grease at all. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Incidentally, if you overgrease it, you will reduce the power until the surplus works its way out, but it won't damage or hurt the tool. Taking the hammer case off the front end to grease it will work, too, of course except that none gets to the rear bearing unless you shoot grease into the front end of the rotor shaft and push it backwards through that hollow shaft.

No oil used in the IR231 except the air tool oil into the air intake. For the models with the screw on the side to put oil in, the recommended oil is 20W or 30W non-detergent motor oil, and then those models require no greasing.

/ IR 231 impact wrench
Yea i made sure to put plenty back into the hollow shaft.. A bit too much /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif aleast i know it is well greased /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif never thought i would see an impact shoot greese /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.. I have had it a year and had been meaning to grease but could never find the right grease or tip.. I can tell a difference.. I bet it will work even better when all the extra grease gets forced out..

thanks again

thanks again..

/ IR 231 impact wrench #6  
I did finally find the kind of grease gun I used all the time for that purpose; not a very good picture but better than nothing at this site. You just stick that needle nose into that dimple then press the plunger with your thumb.

/ IR 231 impact wrench #7  
snapper,

IR calls this their "Impact Wrench Air Care Kit", part no. 105-LBK1.

My wrench was an eBay purchase from an individual. It was new, but no documentation (a door prize won by a guy who couldn't use it). I called IR customer service. They were very nice. I explained the situation. They sent a warranty card, owners manual and the wrench care kit....free! I expect any IR vendor could also order one for you.

OkieG

P.S.-I just looked at Bird's link and see that kit is similar to the one I have pictured. As Bird's link suggests, 115-LBK1 is for the 2131 series of air wrench. The 105- part no. above would work with your tool.

OkieG

Attachments

• 235324-MVC-018F.JPG
    235324-MVC-018F.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 469
   / IR 231 impact wrench #8  
Thanks for pointing that out, OkieG. I just wasn't paying attention since I was only looking for some picture of the type of grease gun I used. What is shown in the picture is exactly what I used, but what is not shown is the little cannister it's attached to. And if anyone doesn't already know it, the little grease fitting on the IR2131 and IR2112 (I've never seen an IR2141 yet) is on the side of the front housing instead of the rear. The rotors in those models are not hollow; no grease goes to the bearings because they're sealed bearings. And Ingersoll-Rand uses a different colored grease in them than they put in the other models (don't ask me why 'cause I don't know what the difference is).