Fixed Starting Problem Glow Plugs

/ Fixed Starting Problem Glow Plugs #1  

NLWoods

Tractor
Kioti CK30 HST
My CK30HST has almost 700 hours on it. It started quickly the first two years but has been sputtering and giving black smoke lately. The diagnosis was a bad glow plug. So, I began removing the glow plug bar. What a pain! Three little nuts that would not come off. Finally broke the tip off the middle one. Tested the plugs - all at 0.8 ohms. Tested the circuit - good 12 volts when the glow key was turned on. Hmmm began playing with the "bar" and noticed that the center one was not getting contact through the paint and washers on top. Scraped all the paint off the bar around the connections and put it back on. Got maybe two threads on the middle glow plug.

Was replacing the HST cooler at the same time. After it was all together, low and behold it started right up! Cool. Now if the two threads are enough to keep the nut on the middle one.

For those thinking about changing glow plugs on the CK30HST, be ready for a pain with tiny spaces to work. Probably be best to plan in removing the intake manifold to get some room. It would not be worth busting one off and having to remove the head.

/ Fixed Starting Problem Glow Plugs
Well,

It did not fix the problem. It still puts out a lot of smoke when first started on a cool morning. Guess I will be pulling the glow plugs. Hate to do that as it appears I will have to pull the intake manifold off to get to them. Anyone already done it?

/ Fixed Starting Problem Glow Plugs #3  
my experience with glowplugs is to take your time and dont attempt to force them... If it doesnt readily unscrew, stop, hose it down with some PB blaster, Zep 45, or Aero Kroil... and let them set.. it will creep in and loosen the carbon up, allowing them to come out.

/ Fixed Starting Problem Glow Plugs #4  
As I have a CK30 I am watching to see how you got on with your start problem. Maybe the glow timer isn't working?