Fixing Axle Shaft seal without tearing tranny apart??

/ Fixing Axle Shaft seal without tearing tranny apart?? #1  

dieselbob69

Gold Member
Tractor
'21 Kubota BX2380
Hey folks,have a question. Is there anything that I could use on the rear right axle shaft seal of my GR2100 to seal a leak? It looks like the leak is coming out of bottom of seal-I wipe it down,then watch more oil trickle out. The one dealer tech I talked to said he has torn a few of these trannies down,and they are a real PITA to seal back up,along w/ 10-15hrs labor.I just paid this frickin thing off in March,as I purchased it in March 2007,and it now has 415hrs. I may try to talk to dealer where I purchased to see if they can be of any help. I just don't have the $1k or more to get this fixed right now.I just would like to know if anyone has tried to apply some type of sealer/patch/gasket maker/anything that works(even if temporary) to get me through the mowing season......wish I knew about these problems before I purchased this machine-would've kept my Cub 3204,even w/the deck that sucked on it.......

/ Fixing Axle Shaft seal without tearing tranny apart?? #2  
I had the same problem with my GR2100, 97 hours on it. Rear axle seals were covered by a factory recall, they replace the case halves and use a newer design. I was out of warranty but factory rep covered it anyway.

/ Fixing Axle Shaft seal without tearing tranny apart?? #3  
I can't imagine what could be used to seal it externally.I do know if the fluid level drops up top where the PTO is you can trash the PTO in short order on these,so be careful.

/ Fixing Axle Shaft seal without tearing tranny apart??
They did fix it last summer-was going to be $1200+:mad:,but she knocked it down to around $750......around 45 hrs since fix,ok so far. Now to get seals replaced in the deck gearbox(it has been weeping since the second year I owned it).....

/ Fixing Axle Shaft seal without tearing tranny apart?? #5  
You may want to be ready for the circlip on the front drive shaft to slip out of it's groove. This happened to me when I ran over a stump. The circlip holds the two piece drive shaft together, close to a support bracket. The bracket is weak, and stress on the front axle will deform it. I tack welded a coupler on the shaft to keep this from happening again. Simple fix, but this Kubota has caused me to be suspect of the brand. Poor design/engineering is responsible for these issues, shame on them.