Bleeding Hydraulics, 1966 Ford 5000, Loader

/ Bleeding Hydraulics, 1966 Ford 5000, Loader #1  

Ervin Smith

Silver Member
Tractor
1955 Ford 800, 1966 Ford 5000, 1992 White Gt1855 GT2055, Bobcat 753
I burst a hydraulic hose that goes to my front loader on my 1966 Ford 5000, on the bucket, now neither the up and down controls nor the bucket will not work.

Physically replacing the hose seems as if it will be easy. I assume that once this is done the hydraulic system will need to be bled, no different from the brakes on my car.

My question is, how do you bleed the hydraulics on the tractor and how high do I fill the system, there is not a resovoir to put it in, and it is hocked up direct into the tractor hydraulics? I put two quarts back in, but maybe thats not enough. who know how much leaked out.
Will it harm it if I over fill it, the cap on the fill point seems to have a check valve on it wiggle around on top the plug. Mybe thats for looks or a different purpose, like to identifiy it, So it wouldn't make sense since because it should be under pressure.

/ Bleeding Hydraulics, 1966 Ford 5000, Loader #2  
I don't think you will have to bleed the lines. Just cycle the loader to full extension both ways a few times and it should work the air back out.

/ Bleeding Hydraulics, 1966 Ford 5000, Loader #3  
With all the cyl's full, there should be a fill level point somewhere. Just cycle all the cyl's several times and top off the reservoir.

Install a hyd gage at the input to the FEL valve to monitor and trouble shoot the hyd system.

Last edited:
   / Bleeding Hydraulics, 1966 Ford 5000, Loader
i will get more tomorrow, I have to get them to fix the end on my hose they messed up on. Can't believe he put on the wrong size on one of the hoses. I guess everyone isn't as perfect as me.
Who wants to bet that they try to push off a adaptor for it, instead of fixing me a new one.

/ Bleeding Hydraulics, 1966 Ford 5000, Loader #5  
i will get more tomorrow, I have to get them to fix the end on my hose they messed up on. Can't believe he put on the wrong size on one of the hoses. I guess everyone isn't as perfect as me.
Who wants to bet that they try to push off a adaptor for it, instead of fixing me a new one.

The level plug is on the left rear of the rear axle center section. Fill with New Holland 134 hydraulic oil or its equivalent. Cycle the loader full up and down several times, dump and roll back the bucket a few times, and re-check your oil level.

Thanks for the tip RickB. I used what the dealer sold me, Ambra Multi G 134. The only plug area anywhere on the rear is right accross from the PTO shaft on the left side, sitting down. No plug there,
that plug location is wear the hydraulics are plugged into. I had to remove everything, then use new tape to put it all back. Took 2 gallen back out. I let it drain till it was dripping only, then put it all back together. So it was 3 gallen low. ****. it Wasn't clear anymore mixed with what was in there.
The loader still won't do anything. The 3 point hitch raises up and down, depending on if that black knob under the seat right side, is in or out. Tried the loader both ways in, and out several time. Nothing. Oh well.

And there is another knob, next to that black knob that pulls in and out, which turns, it says Slow and Fast, I think its for the 3way hitch and hydraulics.

/ Bleeding Hydraulics, 1966 Ford 5000, Loader #7  
i gave you this info multiple times already. on where to fill and check the hyds.

look for a pipe plug on the back of the center section.. it's there or has been broke off and ground down.

i'll see if i can find a pic of mine.

soundguy

I posted pics of the tractor and its hoses locations. Ervin Smith should help find them in a search for photos they are in the photo gallery

I honestly do not think the tractor will be around much longer. The loan company was none to happy to hear what I had to say about their callatoral on the loan as summitted by Rudolph Bros Equip. Looks like they frauded not only me, but the loan company too. I will know more in a couple days.

/ Bleeding Hydraulics, 1966 Ford 5000, Loader #10  
i;ll still post the pic when i can get it..

soundguy