JD 2640 Hydraulic Leaks

/ JD 2640 Hydraulic Leaks #1  

mikesmind

Tractor
JD 2640
I have a couple hydraulic leaks on my JD 2640 that I am trying to diagnose. The first one leaks near the steering column and down onto the brake pedals. The second leak comes down between two metal lines just below the hydraulic pump, but I can't see the source of that leak.

Any help in diagnosing these leaks is appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

/ JD 2640 Hydraulic Leaks #2  
Leak at front pump could be pump seal/lines or hyd oil cooler. Determining where leak via the internet is impossible. Leak on brake pedals has to be power steering related.

/ JD 2640 Hydraulic Leaks
I'm pretty new to working on tractors and have not done hydraulic work before. Any tips on how to trouble shoot the leaks will be helpful.

Thanks, Mike

/ JD 2640 Hydraulic Leaks #4  
Hydraulic leak diagnosis is a matter of cleaning the leak areas until clean and dry. Remove enough shields or components to be able to see the actual leak and then once it is dry, run the tractor long enough to to see where the oil originates. If it is a high pressure leak, DO NOT put your hand near the leak to help find it. The oil can be injected into your skin and this is a very serious injury. Cut a strip of cardboard to insert into leak area to help determine source of leak. On your 2640, the leak near the steering valve could be the presure line, steering valve, crescent shaped steering shaft cover gasket, or even the steering valve mounting gasket. The leak up front could be several things as TxJim mentioned. If it is between two lines, the lines might have rubbed together and worn a hole in one or both lines.