Troy-bilt Pony

/ Troy-bilt Pony #1  

Quazzy02

Tractor
John Deere 316
I just bought a Troy-bilt Pony, it was used and is about 10 years old and had a couple questions on it as I did not get any manuals.

1. When I pull the lever out to go in reverse the tines start spinning? Should the tines come on when going in reverse without pulling up on the 2 handles by each handgrips?

The engine is the 5 hp Briggs & Stratton engine

2. What kind of oil should be run in the engine and gear case? I dont know if the oils have ever been changed and was thinking I should change the fluids.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
   / Troy-bilt Pony #2  
It is normal for the tines to turn in reverse when you are backing up, so of course you need to lift the tines off the ground before pulling on the reverse handle. And of course don't lift up on the forward levers while you're also pulling on the reverse handle!

You can use a variety of oils, but 10W30 gives you a range from 0 to 100 degrees F.

You can find the operators manual for the tiller online as a PDF file for free. There's a separate manual for the engine.

/ Troy-bilt Pony #3  
I just noticed that you also asked about oil for the gear case.

The owner's manual says this:
"Using a clean funnel, slowly add SAE 140 or SAE 85W-140 weight gear oil (with an API rating of GL-4 only) to the transmission. The transmission holds approximately 3-1/4 pints (52-54 ounces). Tilt the tiller slightly backward to make sure the gear oil reaches the rear (tine) end of the transmission. Stop adding gear oil when it begins to flow from the oil level check hole on the side of the transmission."

In another place it says this:
"TRANSMISSION GEAR OIL SPECIFICATIONS
For small top-offs: Use SAE 140, SAE 85W-140, or SAE 80W-90 gear oil with an API rating of either GL-4 or GL-5. For Full Replacement: Use SAE 140 or SAE 85W-140 gear oil with API rating of GL-4 (do not use GL-5)."

There has been a lot of discussion about whether the variable weight oil will damage the bronze worm gear in the transmission, so you might think twice about that. Unfortunately, the fixed weight oil is harder to find.

As of this date, you can view or download a PDF version of your owners manual at this link:
PDF Manual Web Archive

/ Troy-bilt Pony #4  
You can find the bumper and hiller furrower on a certain online auction site.:thumbsup:

Yeah its normal for the tines to turn when you go in reverse.

I use just about any engine oil. 10W 30 will work. Straight 30 is very good also. Just change it OFTEN as the tiller works in a very dusty enviroment. The oil get dirty in a hurry and changing it often is good policy. Clean and check the air filter often also and oil the pre-cleaner square.

You can find GL 4 at Napa auto parts. I think.......Anyhow its safe for bronze gears. There is a little square bolt just above the left wheel that is the check/overflow. Level the tiller and undo that bolt. If any lube flows out its full enough. The drain plug is at the bottom under the wheel axle. If there arn't any leaks your very likly good to go on the gear oil.

/ Troy-bilt Pony
Thanks for all the info!