john deere 755 pto

/ john deere 755 pto #1  

bohaslup123

Tractor
jd 755
does anyone have experience with the PTO brake on this type of system. the trans and pto is operated via hydraulics unlike a manual shift tractor.. the problem is the pto falls to stop or very slowly come to a stop when disengaged . i beleive the clutchs and plates have worn out and need replacing-the job seems fairly easy. any suggestions on the repair will be greatly appreciated. thanks.

/ john deere 755 pto #2  
Get the Technical Manual. There are detailed instructions for servicing the PTO brake. Also contains the minimum thickness of the friction discs.

/ john deere 755 pto
Get the Technical Manual. There are detailed instructions for servicing the PTO brake. Also contains the minimum thickness of the friction discs.

got the manual and iam ready to service the brake- beside the clutchs and plate -does a repair shop replace all items leading back to the clutchs-certainly the o rings should be- but what else is usually included? the clutchs are not really costly it is the plates that run up the bill. thanks for your reply-BO

/ john deere 755 pto #4  
-does a repair shop replace all items leading back to the clutchs

For my 4300, the PTO uses mechaincally-actuated multi-plate wet clutch
and wet brake. If actually worn out, I would replace all the friction disks,
and the plates if out of spec. JD would only sell me a full set of the disks,
and they were over $400.

What kills the clutch/brake is users switching the PTO on or off at greater-
than-idle RPM. That tends to shatter the friction discs. I had several
broken discs in my last 4300, but none were excessively worn. If you can
find spare discs, use those instead of buying a whole pack. I am thinking
of disabling the PTO brake entirely, since it has only a few discs/plates
and can not handle the forces of stopping high-momentum implements
without breaking. I see the PTO brake as unnecessary anyway.

/ john deere 755 pto #5  
I agree, with my 755 I only bring the RPM up enough to keep the engine from stalling when engaging a PTO and bring it down to idle and ensure the load has full decelerated before I kick the PTO out of gear.

One thing I did consider for the 540 PTO was an overrun clutch but it won't help on the mid PTO.

Jason

/ john deere 755 pto
I bought my 755 several months ago and dont know the total history.It is in over all great shape with approx 1600 hrs. Got it to cut small fields that my other farm equipement is too big for. The only problem is the pto brake.The parts necessary cost approx. 250.00 and I will complete the work this fall when things slow down.It looks like a straight forward job and should be too taxing on my brain???? I'll let you guys know how it comes out. BO

/ john deere 755 pto #7  
Servicing the brake is pretty straightforward. You'll have to remove the implement pump, then the cover over the PTO brake. From there it is a simple deal to replace the brake discs and steels.