General Question?

/ General Question? #1  

zooming993

Tractor
John Deere 755
Hello,

I'm new to this site and I plan on asking for your help with a John Deere 755 compact tractor. I'd like to start a thread but I'm not sure where I should post it, I'm having fuel problems.

Thanks

/ General Question? #2  
Welcome to TBN :thumbsup:
Either here or the John Deere Forum should work fine - Good Luck

/ General Question?
Okay I'll do that. I own a JD 755 tractor with about 460 hours on it. I bought the tractor earlier this year so I haven't really used it much, maybe 10hrs. I have a FEL installed and occasionally pull a 48 brush mower. After purchasing the tractor I proceeded to change all the oils (crankcase & Hydraulic) and filters (oil, hydraulic & fuel). Now to the problem I'm experiencing. The tractor starts up with no problem and runs fine on flat land however, when I attempt to climb a hill even a small one the engine bogs down and ultimately dies if I don't lift up on the forward pedal. I first thought I had a hydrostatic transmission problem because when I changed the hydraulic fluid I did not use the JD Hydra Gard fluid, I used Tractor Supply premium brand. Thinking this was the problem I drained the fluid and replaced it with the JD fluid but the problem still exists. Thinking it wasn't the hydraulic fluid causing the problem I started to look into the possibility of a fuel delivery problem. With this in mind I took the tractor for a spin around the property and while doing so the oil light flickered on and off briefly so I turned off the engine. When I got off the tractor I noticed a few drops of oil dripping from the bottom of the tractor so I pulled it into the garage to investigate further. It turns out the oil came from the overflow tube coming from the valve cover. When I went to check the oil level I was surprised to find the oil level well above the full mark, my first thought was I blew a head gasket but there was no evidence of water and the radiator was still full. Now I'm really scratching my head trying to figure out what was going on. I know I didn't put to much oil in when I changed the oil because I still have some left in the 1 gallon container. Then someone told me it could be diesel fuel so I'm now trying figure out if it is? I'm leaning towards it being fuel because I know it's not water, could it be hydraulic fluid? I tried to see if I could smell diesel fuel on the dip stick but I couldn't tell.

Thanks for your help

/ General Question? #5  
Assuming your engine has a belly pan with a 2 oil pan configuration
for oil level that would explan why you have too much
oil in the crank case as one option;(you did not drain all the oil)

option 2 is/might be- the seal on the fuel injection pump driven gear is shot and allowing fuel into the crank case;

OK so you have too much oil in the crank case since you may not have or did not drain it all as it takes a while for the oil galleries to drain.

If you have a lab flask or a small glass jar simply drain the oil out and catch a sample near the end and allow it to sit overnight and if you have diesel fuel in the oil it will be on the top of the motor oil.

IF you have found diesel fuel in the motor oil you need ot have the tractor picked up and repaired.

Your engine will consume diesel motor oil in operation and needs to be topped off occasionally.

NOW about your fuel issues; you seam to have a classic case of crap in the tank by the sounds of things and you will need to drain the tank and use a shop vac to suck all the crap out of it as you may have a lot of mold and dirt being sucked into the suction lines stainer if it has one.

As it is a direct injection engine most likely unless you tore an o ring or had the bleeder lift hand pump loosen up and suck air you should clean the tank and change the fuel line with a good quality woven reinforced fuel line.

Being at an arm chairs length from you I cannot candidly tell you what is wrong with it unless I am checking a number of things.

Better for the local dealer to check it for you as you cannot run it safely.

NOW!!!! you do not have an overflow tube, it is referred to as a crankcase breather to allow the crankcase to vent its pressure to the atmosphere.

Where is the main hydraulic pump for the tractor? if it is within the transmission case under the seat you cannot have any hydraulic oil in the crank case period.

/ General Question?
Leonz,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what you mean by "a 2 oil pan configuration"? The oil pan on my 755 doesn't appear to have 2 pans, just one deep pan. As for fully draining the pan before I refilled it, I'm 99% sure it was fully drained. I let it drain for at least 1/2 hour before I closed it up. Today I drained the oil again and let it drain for close to an hour. There wasn't much oil coming out after the first couple of minutes. I took your advise and collected some of the oil in a glass jar, we'll know more tomorrow. I found it odd that the oil was so black, the motor ran for less then 10 hours since the last oil change. Just to throw it out there, I did add half a can of Sea Foam cleaner in the gas tank when I last changed all the fluid, could this have caused or added to the problem? I also took your advice and removed the gas tank and cleaned it out. When I removed the sending unit there was a small piece of the hose left that connects the screen to the tube, the screen was not attached nor did I find it when I cleaned out the tank, could it have dissolved? There was some sludge on the bottom of the tank but I'm thinking since the screen is missing I wasn't sucking the sludge up since the pick up tube is a good 1 to 2" from the bottom of the tank?

As for the hydraulic pump, it is located underneath the seat at the rear of the tractor, so I guess it can稚 be hydraulic fluid?

/ General Question?
As suggested above, I collected some of the drained oil in a jar yesterday. Today I went to check it and I didn't see any diesel on top of the oil. I'm now wondering if I took a good sample because I took it immediately after removing the drain plug and I'm wondering if the diesel fuel had already settled on top of the oil in the pan? I did not start the motor prior to draining since I didn't want to run the motor any more then I had to if there was diesel fuel in the crankcase. What do you think?

/ General Question? #8  
pull the dipstick and sniff ...if it's diesel in the oil you should be able to smell it easily ...

I am not familiar with your tractor engine but if it is fuel-injected and your oil energizes your injectors (as it does on my Ford F350 diesel truck) then I'd say you have one or more bad injectors ...was a common problem on the early (2003) Fords with 6.3L navistar engines.

Faulty injector(s) would seem to account for your power loss...if you pull them, an engine shop should be able to test them ...although, I have never heard this discussed on this board

/ General Question?
Thanks for the reply. I had the injectors tested, all three worked properly.

/ General Question? #10  
Ah...you were ahead of me; good luck with your next steps