John Deere 212/Kohler K301 Rebuild

/ John Deere 212/Kohler K301 Rebuild #1  

jmcluka

Tractor
John Deere 212
Just bought the above machine from a buddy. Installed all new belts, new oil, plug, and sharpened blades. Did some yardwork on the new property and noticed a pretty severe lack of power going up small grades as well as cutting thicker grass. Checked compression which came in at a whopping 60 psi (110-120 is normal compression for this make/model). Question: Should I do a rebuild (bore with new oversized matching piston, rings, gaskets, valves, etc,), or is there something else I'm missing or should check first? My first JD, by the way, so go easy. Thanks!

/ John Deere 212/Kohler K301 Rebuild #2  
Just bought the above machine from a buddy. Installed all new belts, new oil, plug, and sharpened blades. Did some yardwork on the new property and noticed a pretty severe lack of power going up small grades as well as cutting thicker grass. Checked compression which came in at a whopping 60 psi (110-120 is normal compression for this make/model). Question: Should I do a rebuild (bore with new oversized matching piston, rings, gaskets, valves, etc,), or is there something else I'm missing or should check first? My first JD, by the way, so go easy. Thanks!

Pull the valve cover and check the valve clearance. Don't remember exactly but think intake is around .008 and exhaust around .010 Then if they are in spec pull the head. Is the cylinder walled scored? Is there a large lip at the top of the bore where the rings don't rub. If yes to either of these questions you will need to rebore. If no you may just need a new set of rings. These are solid cast iron blocks and are pretty darn tough.