New Idea fertilizer spreader

/ New Idea fertilizer spreader #1  

MMagis

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 3000, JD 2550
I acquired an older New Idea fertilizer spreader, and have a question for anyone who might be familiar with it, or one like it. It looks just like this one. I forget the model number, but I'm guessing it's the 116. My question is the gear box and how to fill/change the fluid. There really isn't any obvious drain or fill plug. The closest thing I can find is over an inch from the bottom, and obviously that leaves a lot of fluid and all the "bad" stuff. I can tip and get most of it out, but how do I fill it? Do I just fill it to the level of that hole? The spreader is so large it's a bit difficult to maneuver around, but that's the only was I can figure out it's supposed to be done.

Attachments

• 3nd3od3l65T65Q65P5b5ufc06a9e390f5116c.jpg
    3nd3od3l65T65Q65P5b5ufc06a9e390f5116c.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 561
   / New Idea fertilizer spreader #2  
My hunt club acquired a spreader that just has a single spreader plate (not a "dual" set up like yours) and the gear box had no drain or fill plug either. Not knowing if it had any oil in it, we wound up drilling a hole into the gear box near the top, tapped it, and put in a grease fitting. As it turned out, it was full of oil so we now at least have a way to put oil into it if needed. You may have to do the same thing. Just don't understand why they would not put in a drain and fill plug??? Maybe they consider it not worth fixing if it does go bad and just want you to buy a new one???

/ New Idea fertilizer spreader
Just don't understand why they would not put in a drain and fill plug??? Maybe they consider it not worth fixing if it does go bad and just want you to buy a new one???

I couldn't understand it either. I thought maybe I was missing something obvious, but I don't think so. I don't suppose it needs changed often, but this one has been sitting out for a while and has one bad top seal, so some water got into the gear box. For the $45 I paid for the thing, I can afford to drill and tap a hole or two if that's what it takes. :D Thanks.