BX2660 Transmission Strainer Cleaning

/ BX2660 Transmission Strainer Cleaning #1  

Danner

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2660
I've read the archives on the 50-hour service, one area is unclear...

When I remove the transmission strainer assembly for cleaning, will all the transmission fluid drain out? Since the manual rates the fluid for 400 hour replacement, this would be captured in a clean pan and poured back into the transmission, yes?

/ BX2660 Transmission Strainer Cleaning #2  
I've read the archives on the 50-hour service, one area is unclear...

When I remove the transmission strainer assembly for cleaning, will all the transmission fluid drain out? Since the manual rates the fluid for 400 hour replacement, this would be captured in a clean pan and poured back into the transmission, yes?

Yes all the fluid will come out and this is a good time to change the tranny fluid, no matter what the manual says.:thumbsup:

/ BX2660 Transmission Strainer Cleaning #3  
If you choose to keep your fluid, just have a tapered, 1 1/4" down to 7/8"" plug ready. Some guys use a shop vac at the fill hole, to create a back pull, but I prefer to use the plug and not get oil in my shop vac. Leave the dipstick in place. Don't want to make it any easier for the fluid than necessary.

You'll lose maybe a pint, if you're quick. You can take a razor knife and shape the taper out of a huge cork from a wine bottle, which is what I did. However, this isn't your standard 3/4" wine cork. It'll have to be a big one to start with.

You can also buy tapered rubber plugs at most hardware stores.

/ BX2660 Transmission Strainer Cleaning #4  
I second the suggestion to change the fluid at 50 hours. The SUDT from my BX had some small shavings/filings in it at the fifty hour change. Seems like cheap insurance to me.

Matt.

/ BX2660 Transmission Strainer Cleaning #5  
The same principal of changing the engine after the initial 50hrs holds true for the transmission. The main reason they changed the requirements in the manual was because of the cost involved and most never did it anyway.
Just think about it. There is just as much junk circulating around the tranny as there is in an engine that is breaking in. Why wouldn't you change it.:confused:

/ BX2660 Transmission Strainer Cleaning
On changing it or not...

Kubota has a great reputation and, presumably, the recommended maintenance schedule is more that adequate. I've never been one to increase service intervals, and in my decades of servicing motor vehicles, that has worked well for me.

The transmission fluid isn't exposed to combustion products, the comparison is truly an apples and oranges deal. I have no doubt that the strainer and filter can completely remove the break-in grit.

OTOH, it it's a huge PITA to deal with the strainer/drainer issue, I hva no problem buying some new hydraulic juice. ;)

/ BX2660 Transmission Strainer Cleaning #7  
On changing it or not...

Kubota has a great reputation and, presumably, the recommended maintenance schedule is more that adequate. I've never been one to increase service intervals, and in my decades of servicing motor vehicles, that has worked well for me.

The transmission fluid isn't exposed to combustion products, the comparison is truly an apples and oranges deal. I have no doubt that the strainer and filter can completely remove the break-in grit.

OTOH, it it's a huge PITA to deal with the strainer/drainer issue, I hva no problem buying some new hydraulic juice. ;)

I doubt it is the combustion products the reason they have you change the engine oil at 50 hrs.

/ BX2660 Transmission Strainer Cleaning #8  
JOHNTHOMAS has some good threads on this including communications from Kubota. One of his threads is a "How To" on service.

/ BX2660 Transmission Strainer Cleaning #9  
You can also buy tapered rubber plugs at most hardware stores.

or swimming pools places. That have rubber stoppers there when removing lines for winter.

/ BX2660 Transmission Strainer Cleaning #10  
I just bought an extra strainer pull out the old slap in the clean one . loose very fulid. Job done