engine? transmission? the usual newbie questions

/ engine? transmission? the usual newbie questions #1  

shu

Bronze Member
Tractor
Case IH 45A
In lower rio grande valley, TX (flat). Have 5 acres back of the house in town (mostly cleared, some mesquite) and another 5 acre lot up the street (knee high grass on rough ground) . Both need some drainange (berm building and tear down work) and shredding.

Am entirely new to this, and innocent of any decision base: gas/diesel, transmission type, 2wd/4wd, reliability/ruggedness of particular brands.

Am thinking tractor of 25+ hp would be appropriate. front end loader, brush hog, and maybe box blade. backhoe would be nice, but no-wise justified by the small amount of actual ditching i need.

Am thinking 4wd not because of snow, mud, or hills, but for better traction with the fel.

Are diesel engines supplied or worth considering on these type tractors? My thinking is to go gasoline, because of more forgiving service schedule.

Transmission options? I am fine with manual shift.

New Holland and John Deer dealers are in town, but are here for the big boys who farm 1000+ acres. Not much market in this small town for garden tractors. Kubota, Mahindra, and Kioti are about 50 miles away, close enough if needed.

Nice Board! Thanks.

/ engine? transmission? the usual newbie questions #2  
My suggestion would be to work with both your local dealers first (let them decide if they are just "big Ag" dealers). Provide them with the same information you have listed here. Listen to their pitch and how they plan to help you grow with your operation and newfound "machines".

I know which way I would go, if the Deere dealer was at all friendly to my interests, but you need the best of the two locals if you can get either or both on your side. If neither want to do business, then trek out of town. The dealers out of town have good tractors too, but will be more of a headache if at a distance to you.

I would go diesel, 4wd, HST, 25 - 35hp (for the resale value, along with the usefulness of the tractor).

Have fun.

/ engine? transmission? the usual newbie questions #3  
I think you're right that you want 4WD, and while the manual transmission is OK for some folks, I'll bet you'll be a lot happier with a hydrostatic for the kind of work you're talking about. As for gas vs. diesel, the vast majority of the compact tractors today are diesel; try it, you'll like it. If you like the Deere and New Holland dealers who are close, go look at the 4210/4310 Deeres, the TC25/TC29 New Hollands, and then I'd suggest you also go look at the B2710/B2910/B7800 Kubotas. And not only look, but try a test drive on them to see what you like and/or don't like about each.

Now some of the other brands, like Mahindra, Kioti, Cub Cadet, etc. are probably good, too, but I don't know enough about them.

My personal preference would be the B2910 Kubota, or if the price difference were too much for the budget, the B7800 Kubota, but your preference might be different. You need to buy the one that you like best.

/ engine? transmission? the usual newbie questions #4  
Shu, I wouldn't write off the local dealers. CUT's (Compact Utility Tractors) are a big part of JD and NH's business. Having been stationed in Kingsville in the mid 60's I realize 50 miles down there isn't the same as in the Northeast. I would take a trip to see the Kubota, Mahindra and Kioti's for sure to see what the other guys are up to and educate yourself. There are no gas engines in CUT's made by the manufacturers you are looking at. There are really no real problems with any of the brands, they are all very good. Based on what you are looking for, I will give you some starting points. JD 4310, NH TC30 or Boomer TC29 or 33, Kioti DK35, Mahindra 2810 or 3510, Kubota L3130, possibly L3000. Also Century/ Branson ( I forgot about Branson in another thread) 2028, 2035 or 3035 for Century and the Branson equivalents 3010, 3510 and 3520 - if there's a dealer nearby. The NH, JD, and Kioti are a little more machine than you are thinking about HP wise, but I think you'll see their value when you look at them. They ALL come with manual transmissions. Look at them all for some time, sit and operate them. Don't rush into this as there are a LOT of things to learn. No better place to start than right here!
Pacesetter

/ engine? transmission? the usual newbie questions #5  
Local dealers sure are convenient, but isn't 50 miles is Texas considered "local"? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Seems like every time I'm in Texas no one thinks twice about a 50 mile jaunt for dinner, shopping, visiting neighbors, etc. In short, you'll spend more time in the seat than you spend going to the dealer. Buy the machine that fits your needs, pocket book, and comfort.

/ engine? transmission? the usual newbie questions #6  
Hey, Bird, and all... are there any gas tractors made any more(besides mine /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif)?

/ engine? transmission? the usual newbie questions #7  
David, I'm sure there is still a lot of equipment I haven't seen and don't know about, but the only gasoline engine "tractors" I can think of right now are the lawn and garden tractors, either with category 0 or no 3-point.

And JimMc, I think you're right; I bought my tractors from a dealer who was 50 miles from home, and a lot of my neighbors drove farther than that each way to and from work every day.

/ engine? transmission? the usual newbie questions #8  
Re: engine? transmission? the usual newbie questio

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If you like the Deere and New Holland dealers who are close, go look at the 4210/4310 Deeres, the TC25/TC29 New Hollands, and then I'd suggest you also go look at the B2710/B2910/B7800 Kubotas.. )</font>

To that list, I would definitely add the New Holland TC30, and the JD 790. Which are their respective Economy tractors in this size range.

My only reservation on the JD 790 is that it seems light on the 3 Pt hitch specs (815# @24" back) Most of the other ones mentioned are significantly higher (1300#-2200#). Also, last I checked, you could not get the JD 790 with a hydrostatic transmission (if that's of interest). The NH TC30 is available with either gear or HST.

/ engine? transmission? the usual newbie questions #9  
Mossroad,

There is one gas CUT that I know of, manufactured by Cub Cadet.

Model #7254 4wd
#7252 2wd