Deutz Overheating problems

/ Deutz Overheating problems #1  

saintinos

Tractor
Deutz Agroplus 70
Hello to all!!!First of all hello from Greece!I am glad that I found this forum because as a newcomer in the farming bussines I have some issues with my tractor...I have a deutz Agroplus 70 1998 with the F3L914 engine.The tractor has 3000 hours and the last 2 years it is in my possesion,since i bought it used, its temperature instrument is maxed out.Me and the local mechanics tried every possible aspect, oil viscosity engine cleaness, broken fins, instrument mulfunction etc untile they said to me "hey its a deutz dont worry". I am quite worried since it is a serious investment.I hope for your advice and thank you in advance!!

/ Deutz Overheating problems #2  
Welcome to TBN. Have you confirmed that the temperature gauge is correct?
Mike

/ Deutz Overheating problems
Yes we checked the gauge is correct, and also I used a laser thermogun and I saw more than 170 celcious to all cylinders. I didnt measure exactly after I finished working I think 10 minitutes after, so I supose during load the temperature rises even more...

/ Deutz Overheating problems #4  
What does Deutz say the thermogun should read?

How is the oil pump? A lot of air-cooled diesels rely on oil circulation for some cooling.

Is there a blocked oil passage?

Deutz suggests the readings shouldnt reach more than 170 Celcious.As far as the oil systems, everything is checked and fortunately we found nothing.

/ Deutz Overheating problems #6  
First, I am NOT a diesel mechanic, so just take this as a thought, more than an avenue to pursue. In automobiles, with liquid cooling and gasoline, one of the symtoms of a engine out of time is overheating, so I would assume that a small degree of overheating with a diesel could also be true, if there were a way to change the ignition timing. Things that control the timing can be as simple as a mechanical change to a change in the fuel ignition temperature. These types of symtoms are hard to pinpoint, as they are really hard to find, so expect it to be even harder than a gasoline engine (provided this is true with diesel) to find, but it does give you some direction to pursue in the even nothing else is working.(or should I say not working).
David from jax

I havent yet checked the timing because I dont quite trust the local mechanics.I will try to study how I can and then I think there is nothing else to be checked. Frankly I am a little disapointed but I will keep looking.I Thank everyone who tried to help if I have any news I will inform you. If you have any more ideas I will be gratefull.Thank you!!!

/ Deutz Overheating problems #8  
I am not a diesel mechanic so don't take everything I say as set in stone.
I am pretty sure the air cooled engines run cylinder temperature way above 100C or 212F. My guess is that the normal head temperature should be somewhere between 170C (350F) while the cylinder should be cooler. Only thing I can thing off is fan speed control issue.
Magirus Deutz Trucks - 'Air-Cooled Rules'- by Roland Sparling - deutz here is some info about cooling fan speed control.
Check if the cooling fan runs fast enough and the engine fins are clean. The article mentions an orifice in the fan control that can be removed in case the thermostat fails making the fan run at top speed until the thermostat is repaired.
Search the forum for Deutz tractor and you will find several members owning Deutz tractors. You can send them a message asking for help.

Deutz sugests that the engine's maximum temperature is 170 celcious but the engine exeeds this limit. I think around 140 celcius is normal for this engine. The article you suggested is very interesting and enlighting but the design of the fan is much simpler, its just a fan with a couple of bearings connected to the crankshaft, so I think the fan is ok, I will try though to study better the heat dispersion on the engine with and without load and together with the timing I hope I will find something.

/ Deutz Overheating problems #10  
If the fan is running and the fins are unrestricted air cooled engines are almost impossible to overheat.
There are two things that will overheat air cooled engine:
1.) Friction due to lubrication issue.
2.) The engine is producing more power than design. There are several limits set in the injection pump. Minimum fuel (Idle), maximum rpm and maximum fuel (max power).
If the engine overheats at normal rpm and low load I would guess the cause is friction.
If the engine overheats at heavy load it might be possibly over fueled. It is usually exhibited by black smoke.

What is the oil pressure and temperature when hot?

I would check for rodent nest inside of the air shroud.