JD 4200 vs. Kubota B2710

/ JD 4200 vs. Kubota B2710 #1  

BRENTK

I am in the process of deceiding whether to buy a JD 4200 or a Kubota B2710. This will be my first tractor. I will use it for mowing and general loader work. I really like both tractors. The specifications seem rather similiar except for the weight of the tractor. The Kubota is 900lbs lighter. It seems the JD is overall a more heavy duty tractor. What causes this extreme weight difference? Should I be concerned about the weight difference?

Also, I assume there are other differences I should be considering. What are they?

Thanks in advance for any advice you may be able to give me.

/ JD 4200 vs. Kubota B2710 #2  
The 4200 through the 4400 are basically the same components except that the 4200 has a shorter wheelbase and smaller tires. Thus it has plenty of strength for its power.

Since this will be your first tractor, it would be of great benefit for you to operate each in both loader and mowing trials. If you don't have much experience, be sure to ask each dealer to give you a "check-out" and then you test drive them for as much time as you can negotiate. Hopefully, that would be more than 15 minutes. Also ask each dealer to demonstrate the process of attaching and detaching the loader and the midmount mower deck for you. As has been said many times here, the quality of the dealer for each brand is another major consideration.

/ JD 4200 vs. Kubota B2710 #3  
I have found that Kubota's published weights of tractors are "shipping weights" - I believe without tires, and with no fluids. But, including ROPS and seatbelt.

The John Deere "field ready" term indicates a tractor equipped with R1 tires, ROPS, seatbelt, and all fluids including fuel.

So in the 4200 vs B2710 weight issue, the B2710 would have to have front and rear tire sets, and also fluids added for an actual "field ready" number.

For reference, the B2710 R1 tires add +/- 37lbs per front tire and 95lbs per rear tire - empty. That would bring the B2710's 1741-lb weight to 2005 - still no fluids. (R4 tires are +/- 35lbs each piece front, and 103lbs each piece rear)

So, add weight for fluids of a B2710 to complete the exact weight comparison.

<font color=blue>>></font color=blue>Muhammad
<font color=blue>Forum Master</font color=blue>

/ JD 4200 vs. Kubota B2710 #4  
An update...

I just got an e-mail from a gentleman who had a B2710 (LA401 FEL, 60" bucket, R4 tires) field ready shipped to him by Carver Equipment. Before it was shipped, it weighed in at 2,480lbs by certified scale.

That's good enough for me. Except I'll find out what the loader weighs (itself) some time. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ JD 4200 vs. Kubota B2710 #5  
An update...

I just got an e-mail from a gentleman who had a B2710 (LA401 FEL, 60" bucket, R4 tires) field ready shipped to him by Carver Equipment. Before it was shipped, it weighed in at 2,480lbs by certified scale.

That's good enough for me. Except I'll find out what the loader weighs (itself) some time. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ JD 4200 vs. Kubota B2710 #6  
Muhammad, isn't there something in the Instructions about how not to double-post? /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ JD 4200 vs. Kubota B2710 #7  
I have the LA401 loader on my B2710 and the manual says "Net weight (Approx.) 280 kg (617 lbs.)" I have the 54" bucket and the manual says "Weight 79 kg (174 lbs.)" and says the 60" bucket "Weight 82 kg (181 lbs.)", if that's any help.

Bird

/ JD 4200 vs. Kubota B2710 #8  
BrentK, Before buying our B2710,I looked very closely at the Deere 4200.The Deere "looked" like it would be a fine tractor,lot of features that I liked,I'll have to admit that green paint is eye-catching.But,I felt the 4200 was under powered for its weight and size,and there have been several problems with front axle and other "bugs".My main use of our compact is for mowing,we have a 72" mid-mount mower on the 2710,with its lighter weight its an excellant mowing machine.Don't quote me,but I don't think the 72" mid-mount will work very well on the 4200,wheel base is not quite long enough,front tires will rub on the deck when making a short turn.I also have the 401 loader for our tractor,and do quite a bit of light work with it.This a very smooth operating loader,that does'nt take long to hook or unhook,and to my notion more securely attached to the tractor.I've never looked back after buying the 2710,it's a great little tractor,with plenty of power,light on it's feet,very nimble,and competitively priced.If your leaning toward Deere,I would look at the 4300,a little more power,a little longer wheel base,but also a little more money.

/ JD 4200 vs. Kubota B2710 #9  
Yeah, but I'm still learning! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ JD 4200 vs. Kubota B2710 #10  
I'm sure you knew some smart-aleck would have something to say...