Which Landscape Rake for rocks and why?

/ Which Landscape Rake for rocks and why? #1  

dex3361

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4400-1 HST,FEL, 3x3 remotes, TNT. BX1500 54 mmm
Looking to get a Landscape rake to clean up the rocks of various sizes out of loose soil of a few projects and I want a rake that will angle. I have a L4400 HST and I use a 7 foot BB so I thought I would get a 7 foot landscape rake. Here is a pic of the current project from a barn demolition and clean up. I have box bladed and used the grapple to get the largest rocks up.
What are the thoughts of the TBN braintrust?

Attachments

• HPIM3463a.jpg
    HPIM3463a.jpg
    513.3 KB · Views: 1,942
   / Which Landscape Rake for rocks and why? #2  
I use my 66" rock bucket to get the 3" and larger stuff up with as little dirt as possible. Have to shake the bucket well to loose the fines.

A landscape rake does a mediocre job as it gathers both the soil and the rocks in my experiences. I tend to wind up with piles of rock and dirt because the flat tines hold and carry the soil. I plan on building a new rake with spring steel round tines soon with a higher percentage of opening to see if this helps. I am thinking to use 3/8" to 1/2" rod on about 1 1/2" spacings and give this a try. The 1" and smaller rocks I can live with, its the "lawnmower killers" I need to get rid of.

A Harley rake is another alternative and will do a good job windrowing the rocks.

/ Which Landscape Rake for rocks and why? #3  
dex3361, I'd get the big stuff off then use a landscape rake with every other tine removed then I'd use the rake with every tine in. I think most rakes are pretty much the same just some cost more than others. Make sure you get gauge wheels. Like jenkinsph stated the smaller stone will just pack in don't need to worry about those. If you seem to be getting too much dirt in a pass just drag the pile back the other way again with the tines a bit further off the ground.

/ Which Landscape Rake for rocks and why? #4  
No perfect solution but in my experience I think for your rock, looks like flat shale, the rock bucket with 3" tine spacing would be best and fastest. However, if the soil is moist you have to lift and drop within bucket to release soil. The rear rake will work it will just take you more time and effort. As for rake purchases good deals are found on Craigslist all the time.....Gary

/ Which Landscape Rake for rocks and why? #5  
My two cents- I'm an old dude and go back to the days when a York rake was about the only alternative. I own one that I use with my 3320. We had a project at our fairgrounds and one of the guys was using his old Harley and it broke before he finished the job. So I brought my rake down- I have to say, a rake is better than nothing but it can't compare to a Harley or any of the powered rotary type rakes.

If you have a rock bucket with close tine spacing, at least you can minimize the amount of dirt you end up removing with the rock/roots, but other than that, a rake either leaves a lot of stone or removes a lot of soil with the rock-depending on your technique. IMO

/ Which Landscape Rake for rocks and why? #6  
It appears all the responses are similar so far, no real perfect solution.

I have to say for small areas I still use a rake and flat shovel quite often too to remove the small stuff that will fall through a rock bucket. The picture of the OP's is a size that would be manageable with rock bucket, dirt bucket rakes and shovels imo. Hard to do everything from a tractor seat I have to say.

If the economy will ever improve I would like to add a good Harley rake to my arsenal of tools.

/ Which Landscape Rake for rocks and why?
I used the grapple that has 6" spacing to get the 6" and up rocks for the most part. I am looking for the " in and down rocks. I like the idea of removing every other tine of a landscape rake. I would like a rock bucket but it is not in the budget right now. Anybody try the King Kutter 7 foot models? If so what did you think?

/ Which Landscape Rake for rocks and why? #8  
It appears all the responses are similar so far, no real perfect solution.

I have to say for small areas I still use a rake and flat shovel quite often too to remove the small stuff that will fall through a rock bucket. The picture of the OP's is a size that would be manageable with rock bucket, dirt bucket rakes and shovels imo. Hard to do everything from a tractor seat I have to say.

If the economy will ever improve I would like to add a good Harley rake to my arsenal of tools.
10-4 on the.."hard to do everything from the tractor seat". But I'll tell you that in the scenario I mentioned regarding our fairgrounds, I spent one day in 95+ heat with a long handled tine fork and a rack and said enough-brought the york rake down the next morning. One thing that I would say, to minimize what you haul off as loam, I pull the "mix" onto an established grassy area and make a lot of passes-that at least loses the dirt-but I'm with you-nothing like a Harley or any rotary type rake.

/ Which Landscape Rake for rocks and why? #9  
I agree with Redhorse, a Harley Rake is the way to go. I used a York rake to install my yard 20+ years ago and it was a real chore with a huge amount of hand labor required, plus you lose a tremendous amount of topsoil. Years later I started a landscape business and started installing lawns for a living. I had done a lot of reading about the power rakes and rented a few, a Preparator, Land Pride and a Harley. I never returned the Harley!

With a Harley Rake and a 4 way bucket you can do a professional job with just a little hand labor. It might be wise to see if you could rent one if you have limited use for it. Just don't expect to get finish results in one pass like is implied in the advertising, it will take several passes including a final skim pass to get soil ready for planting.

/ Which Landscape Rake for rocks and why?
Well I decided to pick up a 6 foot rake from Tractor supply it is the one made by Tarter Gate and is sold as the house brand of CountyLine. Here is a link of the rake. CountyLine 6' Landscape Rake. I talked to the manager and he knocked 15% off of the price and got it for $400 plus tax. Thats what I like about TSC.