Ford 451 sickle

/ Ford 451 sickle #1  

sikboater

I am looking at a 7 ft Ford 451 sickle and wondering if it would be a good mower for doing ditches and under fences? Can you set it at different angles for mowing?

How hard are these to sharpen?

I have 30 hp tractor, will it run it fine? I have attached a picture... What you you all think it is worth? He is asking $400...

Thanks

Tim

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    806.9 KB · Views: 329
   / Ford 451 sickle #2  
Ooops - I wrote a big enthusiastic reply but then I noticed a critical part is not in the picture - I deleted my other post.

I just noticed there is a frame member missing on the front. It might be laying down in the grass - but if it's really lost that's not good. See pic for what it looks like - it attaches to the top link point. Without that frame, the 3-point motion that raises and lowers the cutter bar isn't there. It's several pieces and probably very pricey to buy separately.

Attachments

• 0fdf_3.jpg
    0fdf_3.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 311
   / Ford 451 sickle
Thanks... I e-mail him to ask about the missing part.... Can you use it with out that? How about setting up a crank (like they have on boat trailers) to raise and lower the arm?

Tim

/ Ford 451 sickle #4  
The 451 is a great design - but it really depends on that mounting system to float and follow the ground right - it even depends on that for mounting it to the tractor. It can be "dead-head" mounted without it but it is much less versatile. If it's missing I'd keep looking.

/ Ford 451 sickle #5  
Ford 451????? Or do you mean New Holland 451....? Ford, the brand, is now New Holland, but the mower was New Holland, the hay equipment brand.....which is now the brand on what WAS Ford....

Anyway, I've had a NEw Holland 451 since the early '70's. IMHO, the best sickle mower built....Then, and now.

It used to be a fairly common practice to sharpen sickle "sections". It's more common now to simply replace sections. Not a big job once you learn how.

I use mine now days to mow ditch banks, pond banks, ect. Not sure exact angles, but I do know they'll work +45 degree to -45 degree without trouble.

You have enough hp. Problems may arise with 3-point hitch clearance. Some compacts have CAT I specs at the ends of the draft arms, but have issues with shape of the draft arms when mounting a sickle bar. It would be helpful to know exactly what kind of "30 hp tractor" you have.

$400 is a bargain on a GOOD NH451 mower. I've found a couple in the $300 range in the past year, but they were older 451's with a good bit of wear. I've sold a few older but really nice ones in the $800 range.

/ Ford 451 sickle
Correct it was a New Holland but he just called me and sold it..... Oh well, I will keep looking.

Thanks for everyones help!

/ Ford 451 sickle #7  
My NH 451 works good but I curse it every time I put it on or off. When I first got it I had plugging issues but solved it by using shorter JD guards at the ends of the bar and JD stub guard closest to the frame.

/ Ford 451 sickle #8  
I have one for sale if Your still looking.