sub soiler broke top link

/ sub soiler broke top link #1  

derek01

Bronze Member
I broke the top link while using a subsoiler with my Kioti DK40SEH HST I guess I did something wrong with the 2nd lever that adjusts the float for the 3 pt hitch any suggestions as to what I did wrong and what I should do to avoid this again, I imagine I could have done more damage then I did.

/ sub soiler broke top link #2  
I might be wrong, but I don't think the float would help much with a subsoiler. Either way it it catches an imovable object(root,rock/etc) something is going to give & I would rather it be a top link than anything more expensive. I think you will have to run it a little slower & be ready to stop if you feel the tractor stop or bog.

Last edited:
   / sub soiler broke top link #3  
I broke the top link while using a subsoiler with my Kioti DK40SEH HST I guess I did something wrong with the 2nd lever that adjusts the float for the 3 pt hitch any suggestions as to what I did wrong and what I should do to avoid this again, I imagine I could have done more damage then I did.

Could you use a chain in place of the top link? This was mentioned recently (by Ironhog in "lost 4x4), as a method to reduce shock to the top link attachment points when using a brush hog.
It might work in your application too- I can't say from experience, I've never used a subsoiler.

/ sub soiler broke top link
The top link is in compression not tension so the chain would not work. I think I will try to return it and get 1 that has a shear pin in hope of avoiding this again in the future could be a lot worse next time.

/ sub soiler broke top link #5  
So did your top link bend? Buckle outwards? I use a subsoiler and it takes a lot of power. I use low gear and high rpms.

Afraid to try it again might break the tractor in teo

Oops I mean two

/ sub soiler broke top link #8  
A sub soiler with a built in shear pin is more expensive,of course. I think you can continue to use your economy sub soiler without fear by using a weaker bolt that secures your sub soiler to the top link.