Box Scraper What do you find your box blade useful for OTHER THAN grading/ leveling?

/ What do you find your box blade useful for OTHER THAN grading/ leveling? #1  

Piston

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4610 Hitachi UH083LC
I just recently took delivery of my new (used) Land Pride box blade with hydraulic scarifiers. I am hooking up the hydraulics soon and hope to give it a test drive in a few weeks when I get home.

I have never used a box blade before and have been studying the threads on this forum for tips and tricks. I also downloaded the manual and read through that.

Although I haven't used it yet, I'm already looking into adding a single hydraulic gauge wheel. I guess I can't help myself when it comes to modifications :)

The main use of the box blade seems to be grading and leveling, but as the subject says, what other uses have you found for your box blade?
Pics are always welcome. :)

Attachments

• image-3732786421.png
    image-3732786421.png
    975.6 KB · Views: 426
   / What do you find your box blade useful for OTHER THAN grading/ leveling? #2  
Ballast and towing(light trailer) on property only.

Boone

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    614.2 KB · Views: 458
   / What do you find your box blade useful for OTHER THAN grading/ leveling? #3  
Banging my shins on and refreshing the curse word list.

/ What do you find your box blade useful for OTHER THAN grading/ leveling? #4  
:laughing: :thumbsup:
Thats funny cause you have no idea how many pairs of pants my sons and I have ripped on our disc harrow ! :D

Boone

/ What do you find your box blade useful for OTHER THAN grading/ leveling?
Ford tractor said:

Done that a few times on my grapple as well! It's one of those pains that just make you more pissed off and angry than anything else haha.

/ What do you find your box blade useful for OTHER THAN grading/ leveling? #6  
Mine grows some fantastic weeds between uses. Thistle and Goldenrod being the primary ones

/ What do you find your box blade useful for OTHER THAN grading/ leveling? #7  
Done that a few times on my grapple as well! It's one of those pains that just make you more pissed off and angry than anything else haha.

Exactly! Especially when you told yourself to be careful then whack! Ouch! #@$%%&^%$!!

/ What do you find your box blade useful for OTHER THAN grading/ leveling? #8  
The box blade scarifiers are great for the first breaking up of soil before discing or rototilling. Not necessarily large areas, but garden-sized plots. Usually done in spring.

In summer, when the soil is hard, it is used to scrape along the ground and clear the drought-tolerant weeds around here. It makes a large pile of plant material that can be burned later in the year.

In fall, it is used to push around burn piles - especially burning ones. Backing into a burning pile is not as bad as using the FEL. The box blade provides some insulation for the tractor and tires. The FEL for that application is not ideal.

Last edited:
   / What do you find your box blade useful for OTHER THAN grading/ leveling?
gwdixon said:
In fall, it is used to push around burn piles - especially burning ones. Backing into a burning pile is not as bad as using the FEL. The box blade provides some insulation for the tractor and tires. The FEL for that application is not ideal.

Now that's an excellent idea! Something I didn't think of but will definitely use!
Thanks for posting!

Last edited:
   / What do you find your box blade useful for OTHER THAN grading/ leveling? #10  
The box blade scarifiers are great for the first breaking up of soil before discing or rototilling. Not necessarily large areas, but garden-sized plots. Usually done in spring.

In summer, when the soil is hard, it is used to scrape along the ground and clear the drought-tolerant weeds around here. I makes a large pile of plant material that can be burned later in the year.

That was always one of our primary uses with a box blade on our old Fords. We also used it to drag along the forest floor to pick up small trees we had cut and pull them over to the pile, back up over them and push them into the fire with the back.

I was stoking a burn pile with our old Case backhoe when a hydraulic line burst and shot right into the fire; pretty impressive to my kids a safe distance away, but for me not so much.:shocked::shocked::eek::eek: