Replacing my IH 454

/ Replacing my IH 454 #1  

Anonymous Poster

Still snow on the ground here in PA. And the idea of 4WD is attractive.
I've got about 65 ac -- 20 is pasture. Live on a hill with about 9% slope. Currently have an old IH 454 that needs to find another home. Also a Case backhoe that is way too big for many applications (and is a tough starter).
Fortunately, found these discussion groups and have lurked for awhile.
I had been looking at Kubotas -- L3430 to L4330 w/front end loader (BTW like all of the posts about teeth for the bucket).
Well the Grand series is certainly glitzy (not to mention expensive), but I've read a lot of threads about New Hollands, looked at some of the gray market postings, and am feeling a lot less confident of my direction.
Beginning to wonder whether the HP range of what I'm looking at is too high? Whether the NH models are price competitive?

Have not seen much available in the used market either...

Would welcome suggestions --
Aplications -- bush hogging, blade, pasture rennovation, subsoil plowing, manure moving, and, yes, getting through the snow.

/ Replacing my IH 454 #2  
ZOZO,
Can't be of much use to you in your search. I'm completely new to this tractor stuff !
But welcome to the site . You'll find that the folks here are really great people . The opinions,and advice you recieve will be honest and forthright. John

/ Replacing my IH 454 #3  
Welcome to the forum, Zozo. Lots of folks here who can try to answer specific questions, but sometimes hard to answer broad ones, especially on decisions that involve a lot of personal preference (such as the best brand of tractor). Personally, I think you're already headed in the right direction, but if you get a chance to visit and test drive a variety of brands and models, you'll be more certain to find the one that suits you best.

/ Replacing my IH 454 #4  
I'd tend towards staying with a Utility tractor instead of moving down to a CUT for what your needs are. I'd say 40-50 pto hp at least. Did the IH ever feel inadequate in the power category?

The majors all offer tractors in the small utility size with mfd. Agco's new GT series should be out shortly.Mahindra also has the very slick new "00" series that a few of the members here have recently purchased. Long offers a type of small Utilities,and Eicher has one also. If you decide to go over 60 hp,then take a look at the Valtra line also.

/ Replacing my IH 454 #5  
First, I would strongly advise to not go down in power. Unless I'm overestimating your jobs, I'm thinking all but the largest compacts would be too small. A smallish utility would be a good choice IMO. Takes my 33hp JD about 5-6 hrs under the best conditions to bush hog my 20ish acre place. (some is timber I don't mow) I personally would like a 50-60ish hp rig for bigger work than my compact JD can handle in a timely fashion.

/ Replacing my IH 454 #6  
I echo Woodbeef's suggestions. I think you need to determine what it is you want the tractor to do, and as was suggested to me, and was good advice, buy all the tractor you can. If your looking for a slick tractor/backhoe combo, look at the Kubota L series, and the new JD 110. Both of these have swivel seat from tractor operator to backhoe. The only problem is what you pick up in backhoe utility, I think you lose in tractor utility. The pto hp on these models I believe is in the 30's. Gonna whish you had more power when take that backhoe off and trying to run those pto implements.

/ Replacing my IH 454 #7  
I've got 50 acres and an MX5000. You might want to take a look at it in 4wd. Not a lot of bells and whistles but has shuttle shift. Works just fine for me.
MIke

/ Replacing my IH 454 #8  
ZoZo, wow, your the only other person on this forum with the same tractor as me. I have a 1973 IH 454 diesel with only 1600 hours on it. It still works beautifully. The power it has with its 179 cu in diesel is much more then any of the compacts. I am looking at a new Kubota to replace my "old Kubota" L48. I bought a L48, 18 months ago but have found not being able to remove the loader very cumbersome for my mowing needs. The speed in medium (I have hydrostatic) is a little to slow for mowing as well but works great for tough loader work. The PTO HP is great and mowing with a 80" brush hog does not begin to tax it. The loader is VERY strong. I am looking at a L3430 HST or L3830 HST after I sell my Kubota L48 which now has 130 hours on it. If your looking at a quality tractor wihout all the extra features, look at the Kubota MX5000 as was mentioned. Lots of power for not a lot of money. If you want some ideas, check out www. tractorsmart.com. Rat...

/ Replacing my IH 454 #9  
Rat, If it makes you feel better, I think I have the same tractor you have, only in yellow. Purchased it used in 73 with 135 hrs on it. It is a 2400A series international. I was told it was the same as the red tractors, but I forgot the number. Mine is a 179 cu in diesel also, so maybe the 454 is it. I think mine has something over 1600 hrs also. It has been in the shop one time for power steering work. Sure wish the power steering on my other tractors was as soft as it is. I have worn out 2 sets of front tires, so I guess the steering has earned its keep.

/ Replacing my IH 454 #10  
Hey ns_in_tex, here is my International 454. I plan on getting into it with some paint and a new clutch assembly in the near future. I got an email from ZoZo regarding his. It is a gas version.

Attachments

• 241445-Jack&454.jpg
    241445-Jack&454.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,385