Why are Manufacturer Web Sites So bad?

/ Why are Manufacturer Web Sites So bad? #1  

cadblaster

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2210
I've only been going to the JD and Kubota web sites lately as I have bben evaluating a tractor purchase.
Both sites are terrible. My biggest complaint is that they both put these little bitty pictures of the equipment on their sites. Which is ok, as long as the picture is linked to a larger version of the same picture. Which neither site does.
I've gotten far better pictures of the tractors from contributors to this site. Thankfully!
I know I'm probably barking up the wrong tree, but I just had to vent a bit.

/ Why are Manufacturer Web Sites So bad? #2  
<font color="blue">"...going to the JD and Kubota web sites lately...Both sites are terrible...</font>

OK, apart from the graphics which you say you don't like.....what else is so bad about the websites?

On the contrary, I've always thought JD's website is actually quite informative. It has numerous embedded links that permit the browser to research basic tractor descriptions and specifications. It also has a nifty Price Configurator /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif that I found awfully handy when trying to understand what MSRP prices were on tractors and related options and attachments prior to the purchase of my 4710. It was very handy knowing what JD's suggested upside price ceilings were that I then used in determining how good of a deal I was getting from dealers when they were quoting me percentage discounts off MSRP prices.

....Bob

/ Why are Manufacturer Web Sites So bad? #3  
The photos are terrible - but the print brochures from deere aren't much better. Great closeups of some things, but few good overall shots

Clickable pictures that show details would be the way to go (on the website, not worth a darn in the brochure...)

JD's compare is nice - you can pick models to compare, then export to excel to fill in the many blanks...

/ Why are Manufacturer Web Sites So bad? #4  
I actually think deere's site is one of the best out there. There is a ton of info. you can get from there. If you want the smaller pics to be blown up just copy the pic from the webpage to your compute. Then open it up on your computer and enlarge it.

/ Why are Manufacturer Web Sites So bad? #5  
I think Kubota's website is generally dull and confusing EXCEPT for the new Grand L pages, which seem to be a whole different site.

New Holland's and Deere's sites are OK, but I give the edge to Deere because it at least gives MSRP.

Mark

/ Why are Manufacturer Web Sites So bad? #6  
Hmm, ever tried actually going to a dealer and touching, feeling, smelling the real thing? The websites give me a idea of what to look for, I have no problem with them. Pictures, smictures, go check out the real thing, it's much more educational. Your going to do it anyway so why not dig in. JD may give you MSRP but Carvers and Tractorsmart give you WYWAP, (what you will actually pay). /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gifRat...

/ Why are Manufacturer Web Sites So bad? #7  
Yes, and No! You need to go to the dealer and check things out. But go educated. That is what the site should do. Most salesfolks at the dealerships will be tremendous help. Others are actually a hinderance. So if you know all you can before you go, you stand a better chance. But still go with open eyes.

/ Why are Manufacturer Web Sites So bad? #8  
Cadblaster,

First I want to welcome you to TBN. You will find a lot of information here. In fact you will find more than you want a lot of times. As far as web pages, most of the dealers don't like their corresponding pages. To me John Deere is nice, but you have to know where your going to find things, it is not user friendly. While you can find pretty much everything you want it seems to be the slowest one out there. I find that both on my DSL line and my stupid dial up at home. New Holland is probably the easiest to use, but for some reason they have changed it a lot lately and now you can't find any additional information like you use to. I am not too familiar with the Kubot one but it seems confusing. It may have a lot to do with having a larger line??

Yes I agree on the pics it is nice to be able to see them better and be able to put your hands on it. The web just doesn't totally give us that yet. Some day maybe 3D type pictures. But the web for the farming industry is not big yet as most farmers don't use the web yet.

That is just kind of my take on it. Others may think different. A person that owns a John Deere will defend the John Deere Web site and someone who owns a New Holland like me may tend to defend the New Holland web site and so on. Again as someone said earlier, use the web to point you, then go sit on one to feel more comfortable.

Murph

/ Why are Manufacturer Web Sites So bad? #9  
As manufacturers go here is one of my favorite sites http://www.valtra.com The Image Bank is great,along with the virtual factory tour and do not forget to send an e-card!! Hmm...just do not know why I like it......really!!

/ Why are Manufacturer Web Sites So bad? #10  
Actually, I think JD's site needs a lot of work and I own one. Good tractor, mediocre website.
Pros:
The price guide is nice although it only covers the small machines.
The spec pages for older machines is great. Every site should do that.

Cons:
It's hard to navigate and end up in the right spot.
I've never been able to reach the parts area.
Too many useless pages to navigate through.

My favorite site is currently Cat. Easy to steer through, Specs are plentiful. Pics are few, but they have clickable detail shots. I already know what they look like as I drool on them at every chance. The only thing I want that they don't do is the older machine spec guide. I guess they don't have it because they want to sell you their guide book instead.