Hydraulic Motor

/ Hydraulic Motor #1  

Normo

Thank you in advance for taking a look at my question. I have a limited knowledge as to how a hydraulic system works, but in the past I have done some extensive work on my FEL. I've been thinking about a new project which consists of adding a snow blower running off a hydraulic motor which will be mounted to the front of my tractor. I'd like to remove the front bucket and simply attach the snow blower (some type of quick release mechanism). Just thinking out loud, I guess I would have to run at least two new hydraulic lines to the cross member of my FEL. Somehow mount them to a plate with quick disconnect couplings.?.? This way I can plug in the snow blower hydraulic motor. On the other end I would need some type of motor spool valve to run the motor?

Sorry if my terminology is all wrong or if I'm way off base, like I said earlier I have a limited knowledge of how a hydraulic system works. What a great way to learn more about hydraulic then by doing a project.

Tractor is JD 950 compact, 28hp, FEL, Power Steering, 3pt hitch. The hoses leading out of the FEL control branch into a Y and there are two quick disconnect pointing toward the rear of the tractor. I believe these must be for some type of attachment(s) that I can add to the 3pt hitch.

/ Hydraulic Motor
Those are some great questions and I'm not sure if I can answer them. I guess I just figured the tractors hydraulic pump would handle it. I'll have to look a little deeper into what my tractor's pump spec are and take a look at what kind of hydraulic motor I will need. Thank you for the PTO hydraulic pump. Looks like I have some options.

/ Hydraulic Motor #4  
What size snow blower you get will amount to the pressure, and GPM's you can give to the snow blower, and that will determine the HP the hyd motor can develop.

The snow blowers produced by this company has a min of 14-16 GPM's and pick up width of 66 in.

Lorenz Snow Blowers

Although your tractor is capable of 28 HP, and that HP could drive a hyd pump to produce about 14 GPM's, I doubt your tractor pump will pump that much GPM, at 2500 psi.

So if your tractor pump can not supply enough fluid for the snow blower, then your only option is to use a PTO driven hyd pump, and you have to select one that will not use all the tractor HP, as you have to power the tractor down the road.

PTO pumps are not cheap, somewhere around $500.

A smaller snow blower like about a 48 in would not take as much GPM's as a larger snow blower. If your tractor hyd can supply the GPM's for a smaller snow blower, you will save the expense of a PTO hyd pump.

The web site above also has the 3pt snow blowers.

Flow Rate, gal./min Motor, cu. in./rev.
14-16------------------------4.9

Rotor diameter about 24 in

Last edited:
   / Hydraulic Motor #5  
Do you have the option of mid PTO on your JD 950? If yes this will always give you more power to run implements than hydraalic drive. Hydraulic drive you are looking at a minimum of 20% inefficiency.

Roy