Trailer ordered ! now which controler?

/ Trailer ordered ! now which controler? #1  

gotrocks

Platinum Member
Tractor
B-2910 delivered 8/23/01
Hello Friends;

The trailer is on the way 16' tandem with brakes on one axle. I've been reading about several brake controlers and still don't know which would be the best for me. I'll seldom use the trailer for long hauls and most times I'll have the 2910 on board with FEL and brush-cutter.

I already have a 4 wire plug at the hitch. Will that be all I need with the controler?

I'll take all the .02 I can get...or if you have a nickle /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif or dime /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I will appreciate any and all who reply.

/ Trailer ordered ! now which controler? #2  
I use the Tekonsha Prodigy. They sell for $125.00. Do a search on Google and you can read about all of its features. They are very simple to use. It comes with wiring instructions but if you are not comfortable doing your own vehicular wiring then you might want to hire a trailer dealer to wire it for you. You will need a 6 way trailer connector for use with trailer brakes. The 4 way is only for lights. There are several controllers on the market but I like the ease of use with the Tekonsha Prodigy. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Trailer ordered ! now which controler? #3  
I have a DrawTite Activator III and don't like it at all. The amount of braking current ramps up depending on how LONG you have your foot on the brake pedal.

You can adjust the ending value, and how long it takes to reach that point. But a panic stop or a slow down at a traffic light makes no difference. Same elapsed time results in the same amout of trailer brakes.

I plan to replace this unit with something better soon.

/ Trailer ordered ! now which controler? #4  
Gary,

I had one like what you are talking about and it pretty much stunk.. I now have a Kelsey. I love it. It has a pendulum in it. As you hit the brakes the pendulum swings forward, the further forward the pendulum goes that more brake you get. The speed of the pendulum also affects it. If the pendulum goes forward fast it will apply the brakes faster. You can also adjust it for the amount of load you have. Trailer empty versus trailer full. I sure have liked it.

murph

/ Trailer ordered ! now which controler? #5  
I think I should have done more research before making my purchase! The contollers I had seen in the past, 20 years back, needed to be mounted level under the dash.

I've since discovered that it's no longer required. At least with some units anyway.

Remember when our trucks, and cars too, had a nice metal dash with a straight rolled edge on the bottom. made it nice and easy to mount or CB radios and stuff. Just drill a hole or two and run in the sheet metal screws! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Trailer ordered ! now which controler? #6  
I have a Kelsey, in fact 4 of them, and the GM trucks have holes under dash to bolt them w/.
I would go w/ the 7 blade RV plug since all the new trucks and SUV use them.
I switched all of mine and dads over to this style.
Another plus is they sell adapters to go from 7 to 6 or 7 to 4 so u can pull about any trailer.

/ Trailer ordered ! now which controler? #7  
I also have the Tekonsha Prodigy. Works as advertised and easy to adjust.

/ Trailer ordered ! now which controler? #8  
Haven't used anything but tekonsha so can't speak on other brands but I've been happy with the tekonsha. Very easy to adjust braking force with a dial and visual light that goes from green to red in shades. green is none, then it transitions to light orange, darker orange etc all the way tuntil red which is max. Nice for horse trailers since you have to adjust if you off load a horse and then drive again.

/ Trailer ordered ! now which controler? #9  
Just got a new truck (first new vehicle for me ever). Mostly because of all the good press, I had a Tekonsha Prodigy controller installed. It hasn't been used enough yet for me to comment on it, but I am expecting good performance.

I can comment on my old controller, though. It is a Redline model from about 4 years ago. It has two slider controls. One for braking power and another for time delay until the elec. braking starts. I never understood that feature. If the delay was set anywhere other than minimum delay, braking could include a sudden jerk as the elec. brakes kicked in a little after I applied pedal pressure...uncomfortable, unsafe and hard on the hitch. As long as the delay was set at minimum, the controller worked OK, but I would avoid that style if I were you.

OkieG

/ Trailer ordered ! now which controler? #10  
I agree with Craig. I've used most of them out there and nothing compares to the Tekonsha Prodigy. They are also the best out there in customer service. There was a glitch with the 2003 powerstrokes. It didn't affect the controller function at all but flashed an error message due to the programming of the 2003 diesel. Tekonsha is replacing every one of them free of charge even though it's not an error with their controller but with the programming of the diesel. They are a really good company.