How do you change the wheel drive belt???

/ How do you change the wheel drive belt??? #1  

southernkilowatt

Tractor
Troy Bilt Big Red Horse
Hi all, first time poster. I may be in the wrong forum, if so please direct me to the right place. I have a Troy Bilt Big Red Horse, 23 HP, 50" cut.
Model # 14AA80TP766
Serial# 1Bo17H30110
Date of MFG 02/07

The long belt, that goes from the motor shaft pulley to the idle pulley located at the rear end broke. I took what remained to Lowes and matched it up to a new belt, according to length and by the book they had in the store. That was the easy part. When I got home, I removed the deck and the seat and battery and battery box. From there I can see where the belt goes, but I see no way to get it around the motor pulley unless I unbolt the motor and raise it up 3 or 4 inches to get the belt past the steering components. Am I wrong? Is there an easier way to do this? I would hate to know that I have to tear this thing all to pieces just to replace a belt?

Please, if there is any advice you can give I would very much appreciate it!

Thanks

Dave (southernkilowatt)

/ How do you change the wheel drive belt??? #2  
You should be able to remove the engine pulley from the engine then install the belt and then put the pulley back one when doing the reassembly. As a small engine repair shop I have had to remove steering columns, remove steering arms, remove fender assemblies to replace a idler pulley, remove the transmission to install the drive belt on a murray rider. this spring even had to remove the engine on a cub cadet to repair the carb.

/ How do you change the wheel drive belt???
Thanks for the reply. If I remove the engine pulley, how do I hold the shaft to keep it from turning as I remove the bolt? This has the electric clutch assembly below the engine pulley to engage the belt drive for the mower deck.

/ How do you change the wheel drive belt??? #4  
I normally use an impact wrench to remove the bolt. In a pinch I have even put a 1/2 inch breaker bar with the proper socket and hit the breaker bar with a hammer until it can loose.

/ How do you change the wheel drive belt??? #5  
@ southernkilowatt...did you ever get that belt changed? I have the same mower and now I need to replace the drive belt as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Eric