Caroni Finish Mower from Agri-Supply

/ Caroni Finish Mower from Agri-Supply #1  

nikdfish

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 3038E & 1025R FILB
I thought I'd share pics of the 59" Caroni rear discharge finish mower (model # TC590NSRD) I just got from Agri-Supply. The pickup price for these is $1299 there, assembled & ready to work. The price includes a remote lube kit so you don't have to pull the covers to grease the 3 spindles. It came with solid tires.

I just did a little test mowing today to check the cut height, I'll give it a workout tomorrow. So far it seems very nice. It cuts smooth & even, tracks well, doesn't make any noise to speak of and doesn't appear to be much of a load on the PTO at all. I added bent washers from the "Pat's Quick Hitch" folks, which are carried by Agri-Supply, to work with my EZ-Hitch mounts.

caroni-2-web.jpg

caroni-1-web.jpg

caroni-3-web.jpg

I did shorten the PTO shaft about 4" (probably could have gotten by with 2.5-3").

Nick

/ Caroni Finish Mower from Agri-Supply #3  
My son-in-law recently bought a used Maschio finish mower that looks identical. It works very well.

/ Caroni Finish Mower from Agri-Supply #4  
I think the Italian stuff is pretty well made.

I have the big Caroni flail & have been happy with it, so when I found a 60" Sovema finish mower for sale locally (hadn't heard of the brand at that point) I didn't hesitate to buy it

The Sovema is around 10 yrs old (guesstimate) & other than a small crack on one corner wheel mount, it is in really solid shape. Faded paint but no real rust & fairly heavy construction.

Cuts nice too.

/ Caroni Finish Mower from Agri-Supply #5  
looks nice!

We picked up a used Sitrex (I think it is Italian made, as well) and it has served well for us for the few times we've used it.

/ Caroni Finish Mower from Agri-Supply #6  
I've a question for those that have the rear discharge mowers....do they cut up the grass as well as a side discharge? It would seem the grass isnt circulating in the shute as long,therefore not getting diced up before being discharged . Sort of the opposite of a mulching deck? But,then again,I guess you wouldnt have to worry about windrows. Am I off base thinking this? I'm probably over analyzing it....

/ Caroni Finish Mower from Agri-Supply #7  
We have two Caroni RFMs that have been used HARD and both are still going after over sixteen years. One has standard lawnmower type blades and the other uses swinging type blades.

We haven't used one much lately, but it would only need to be lubed and hooked up, very good mowers for the money.

/ Caroni Finish Mower from Agri-Supply #8  
I've a question for those that have the rear discharge mowers....do they cut up the grass as well as a side discharge? It would seem the grass isnt circulating in the shute as long,therefore not getting diced up before being discharged . Sort of the opposite of a mulching deck? But,then again,I guess you wouldnt have to worry about windrows. Am I off base thinking this? I'm probably over analyzing it....

No, candidly your not over analysing it
or off base.

The standard decks have air baffles that
create an air directing path which is aided
by the minor suction created by the the
rotation of the blades.

The grass is tossed from one side to the
other until it exits the mower deck under
the discharge guard deflector.

A rotary mowers job is to simply cut the grass
and get rid of it which is difficult because of the
mowers design and it requires lots of power.

The grass enters under the mower deck and
is clipped by the blade that it encounters
and the blade attempts to throw the grass
to the right to get rid of it and on it goes.

With the rear rotary finish mowers like the
Caroni models the blades are set between
circular baffles which aid in creating suction
lift to carry the sheared grass away.

The slower you mow the better the cut as
far as directing grass clippings BUT the clippings
will be long and will not compost quickly.

Going over the cuttings a second time only throws
the cut grass around and does not reduce it UNLESS
the clippings are brittle dry grass where the impact
of the blades shatters the brittle grass blades
and long weeds.

/ Caroni Finish Mower from Agri-Supply
I used it today to cut a couple of acres and was very pleased with the result - very even and smooth. I like the fact that with the rear discharge you don't have clippings getting thrown onto as yet uncut grass.

While mowing, the Caroni tracks great with none of the gouging or scuff marks from deck edges or going into reverse that I sometimes get when using the Frontier rotary cutter.

Nick

/ Caroni Finish Mower from Agri-Supply #10  
That sure is a nice looking mower!