Woodsplitter Build (Timberwolf clone)

/ Woodsplitter Build (Timberwolf clone) #1  

Scooby074

Tractor
BX 25, ZD 326
Figured id put up a thread on my splitter build (yes another splitter thread;) )

Im cloning a Timberwolf TW-5 with a few modifications to improve it,complete with log lift, wedge lift and table grate. Cycle time should be under 10s. As im 6'1 Table height is around 32" to try and save my back. The Timberwolf is around $7000-7500, i figure i should have this finished for less than half that.

Major specs are as follows:
Motor: Robin Subaru 14Hp OHC.
Pump: Barnes 22 GPM 2 stage. (not purchased yet)
Valves: Prince Hydraulic , Auto cycle valve and 2 spool valve.
Cylinder :5x24 Princess Auto Welded Cylinder. Made in Canada
I Beam :W6x25
Tank: 15 Gallon with filter

Im trying to build this splitter with all North american sourced parts (other than engine, which is Japanese) I could have likely saved $500+ by buying Chinese, but i try to support NA, Japan and European companies over China.

A few pics so far to get it started. Sorry,not that many yet, camera battery died after these were taken. Ill have some more, better pictures tomorrow.

IMG_3403.jpg

What $90 of new steel looks like :confused2: :mad:
IMG_3400.jpg

Attached is a quick rendering of the Ibeam section minus the "accessories"

Attachments

• I beam assby.JPG
    I beam assby.JPG
    272.8 KB · Views: 1,752
   / Woodsplitter Build (Timberwolf clone) #2  
This is off topic but I see these nice 3d drawings of project you are doing what do you use for software?

/ Woodsplitter Build (Timberwolf clone)
This is off topic but I see these nice 3d drawings of project you are doing what do you use for software?

That was drawn in Solidworks which i fortunately have access to. I prefer Solidworks over AutoCad as it works the way i think.... Scary really considering how buggy SW is... That doesnt reflect well on my thought process does it?:laughing:

One advantage is it gives me the ability to check for interference and range of motion. In my model of the splitter on my computer, i can move the split cylinder in and out in real time to determine where my wedge should go for example. I could also move the wedge and log lift if i had drawn them. Its a great tool.

For a free option you can try Google Sketchup.

Capped the end of the beam. 6011 root with very, very old and wet 7018 cap. Cut out the cylinder mounting plates and gussets. Bored out 1 1/4" pin hole.

IMG_3415.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_3416.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_3409.jpg
[/IMG]

Motor, cylinder and tank...$1900 :licking: . Yes i know im cheating by buying a tank, but it only ended up costing about $100 more than building it myself. If you ever had to grind out weld and chase leaks like ive had to do, its 100 well spent.....

IMG_3413.jpg
[/IMG]

Capped the end of the beam. 6011 root with very, very old and wet 7018 cap. Cut out the cylinder mounting plates and gussets. Bored out 1 1/4" pin hole.

IMG_3415.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_3416.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_3409.jpg
[/IMG]

Motor, cylinder,valve and tank...$1900 :licking: . Yes i know im cheating by buying a tank, but it only ended up costing about $100 more than building it myself. If you ever had to grind out weld and chase leaks like ive had to do, its 100 well spent.....

IMG_3413.jpg
[/IMG]

Nice job so far, keep posting..I love watching a build like this

Will do. Its more about remembering to bring the camera to the shop:D

A few more pics.

Keeping the pin in place helps to keep the plate aligned when welding

IMG_3457.jpg

Rod mounted showing welds to mount plate. Notice the old trailer jack. Was bent and had to cut out a section to straighten. Recycling at its finest:) There will be a piece of plate connecting the uprights before its finished

IMG_3476.jpg

Sittin up on its wheels for the first time

IMG_3473.jpg

IMG_3475.jpg

32 2/4" off the floor for a comfortable work height

IMG_3461.jpg

One last shot on its wheels

IMG_3474.jpg

Worked on the push block and associated parts today.

Push Block finish welded

IMG_3477.jpg

Mounted minus side guides

IMG_3478.jpg

Retraction test.... OOPS ;) Thats the problem with designing on a computer without having the parts to take dimensions off before hand. I had the extension length and the retracted length right... but the tube length wrong by about an inch. This caused the tube to hit the gusset.

IMG_3480.jpg

A quick snip with the torch

IMG_3481.jpg

Test run... Success!!!

IMG_3482.jpg

I didnt like how i cut out most of the support of the gusset, so i added another piece of plate under the rod end to support both the sides and the face plate of the pusher

IMG_3484.jpg

Side guide plates drilled and ready to be welded to the push plate.

IMG_3483.jpg

Evidence of a good evening in the shop !!:thumbsup:

IMG_3486.jpg

/ Woodsplitter Build (Timberwolf clone) #10  
great job :thumbsup: